1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Australia on fire

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Feb 9, 2009.

I know that there are many members here on the forum who hail from Australia.

I pray that each and every one of you is safe during this time of crisis for your country.

Be safe. My thoughts, and I am sure the thoughts of everyone here at the forum, are with you all.

1 person likes this.
  2. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

Such a disaster. I hear they reckon the fire was caused deliberately...what a disgrace. We can only hope for the best.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'll happily ditto that, wrey!

4. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Yes...another ditto.

5. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Thanks ror the kind wishes, its certainly a much more welcome feeling then ...whats been happening.

thanls X

6. Speedy

Country wide there was over 80 fires (20 or so in Victoria where the deaths occurred and 60 in my state, New South Wales).

One of the fires (where the whole community was destroyed ) they believe was done by someone!

A lot of fires where sparked by lightning as well. Ether way, if they catch this person, they'll be a scapegoat for all 200+ deaths (in the publics eye)

7. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I do hope he's caught. Getting away with murder is disgraceful; I dont even know how he -or she- can cope with all the damage that's been caused as a result. :(

And yes, another ditto; I hope everyone who hails from Australia on the WF (and off) is safe.

8. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Thanks, Wrey (and everyone else) for those sentiments. I've been a little surprised at the indifference I've encountered elsewhere about this tragedy, so to know that there is a community here that understands the gravity of it and/or how this is affecting our country, is much appreciated and heartening.

May everyone remain safe from harm, and those responsible dealt with justly.

9. allen

allen New Member

I'm new here but happy to join in on this. My holiday house, located in one of the heavily hit areas of Beechworth was wiped out yesterday i've just found out. Driving past some of the affected areas today to volunteer was just horrible - we drove past a little koala and it's baby on the side of the road, little fella was so parched and riddled with burns. Really horrible. I feel sorry for whoever lit it - they're about to become the most hated person in Australia.

10. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Thanks for the thought Wreybies = ]

There's alot of speculation as to what caused the fire (well, fire(s), because as speedy pointed out, there were multiple ones, some seperate, others that joined together). In the beginning, the news insisted it was sparked by lightening strikes and worsened so quickly due to the high winds and how the entire area had been drought striken for decades- that, and the fact Eucalyptus oil is an amazingly volatile fuel. Although now the story has changed a bit and the news is now insisting it may have also been caused by arson (I'm pretty sure it's because the reality of the situation is beginning to sink in to all the survivors which distresses them and it makes them feel more at ease if they know it was deliberate) and that there's a crazy, indepth investigation taking place at the moment to see if that's the case.

The whole situation is utterly insane. I've never seen so much media coverage on an Australian natural disaster before. Throughout the entire afternoon nothing else but the news was on, that and the broadcast of parliament meetings which were primarily focused on detailing how incredibly awful the situation is and how they plan to re emburse the survivors.

It's not all bad though. I like to think the public of Australia are pretty helpful in times like these, and from what I've seen, there's a really elaborate network of charities being set up to give immediate and long term relief to the survivors. I personally think now the real concern now is keeping the actual fire at bay and ensuring no more people are endangered by it. It kinda makes me feel inspired to pray for rain because that's generally what is conceded as a definite 'cure' to this blaze.

11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

As tragic as the situation is in Australia, here's a picture that brought me to tears for it's display of humanity.

[​IMG]

12. Speedy

Yep, quiet a bit of that on tv. Wires (Animal refuge) is going through the roof right now, getting people to help injured animals. Which if i lived closer would do. When sydney had the 2001 fires, i looked after a joey for 3 months. Was so sad handing it back, but least it live.

ANother good note. One great thing about Australia, is when doom and ggloom takes hold, Aussies bundle together.

Think there has been over 60 million has been raised (And we have a telethon tomorrow night), get paid tomorrow so i dont mind handing out 500 for a good cause (the credit card can wait another week!)

13. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Some of the stories of survival that have been emerging have been amazing - one woman escaped being burnt by jumping into a wombat hole and waiting for the fire to pass.

(I love that photograph from the Herald Sun :))

14. Speedy

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/750345/arsonists-lit-churchill-fire-nixon (had video) (Website is linked to Channel 9)

15. Zcreative

Zcreative New Member

*Australians in my prayers*, and I pray that the arsonist or whoever it is turns himself or herself in and takes responsibility for their horrid actions.

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

From what I've heard, they don't necessarily believe it is a single arsonist. The fires have many points of origin, and although a few may be from lightning strikes, they believe the majority were deliberately set.

It's nearly unthinkable that the fires were set by a number of people acting independently, but it's difficult to believe it was one person running from point to point as well.

I hope all those responsible are brought to swift justice.

17. Speedy

Every fire seems to be part of someone’s sick plan these days.

Victoria had 7 days of over 40 (15f). The land was pretty frigging dry, even for Australia's standards.

Drove to Sydney other night and the whole highway was black (not road, side bits) apparently someone through a smoke out their window.

[​IMG]

Note - The photos are part of a large email going around, reminding people to lunderstand how the fires not only effects humans, but animals as well (which got killed off in the thausands!)

18. Speedy

A pick photos of the hot Koala's after the fires

Thuinbnails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. MugenMonster

MugenMonster New Member

yeah, victoria isn't a fun place to be either right now, i nearly lost my sister in the fires on saturday. i hope they catch the bastards responsible for this :mad:

20. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

As far as I know, Victoria doesn't implement some of the same measures that we do here in SA. Known firebugs are actually kept under close scrutiny, particularly during weather such as we have had lately. (A 'known firebug' includes anyone who has been reported as participating in any kind activity that could pose fire risk).

If nothing else, I hope more preventative solutions are found to help avoid such catastrophe in the future. We have a volatile environment that is highly susceptible to fire outbreaks, which makes it hard enough in summer. The actions of these mass murderers are just unconscionable.

21. sophie.

sophie. New Member

I heard that the police have a few people held atm, on suspicion of the arson attacks
    I loved the photo of the firefighter helping the koala, it's a great gesture.

Whoever started these fires should be stuck in prison for life...apparently one reason they do it is a wish to be a 'hero' - they'll start a fire, then when it's taken hole rush to report it and be hailed as heroic. Mental

22. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

This happened in Colorado a couple years ago. The largest wildfire in state history was first reported (and started) by a Forest Service ranger. Needless to say, they are now in prison after a couple million dollars in damage and one of the most beautiful forests in the state got burned to the ground.

23. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Arson wild fires happen every year here in California. Fortunately, we are sufficiently used to these monster fires, that people evacuate very quickly and loss of life is almost nill. In S. California last summer, hundreds of homes were destroyed with no human fatalities. Of course, many pets an wildlife were lost. The public keeps a watchful eye on suspicious activities so arsonists are often caught and go to jail for long periods. If deaths are caused, they can even got to prison for life.

24. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

The two men were taken into custody because they had been 'assisting the police,' yet exhibited strange behavior near Marysville, AUS, which had lost 1/5 of its population (100 people). They were released earlier today; no one knows what the strange behavior was, nor does anyone know why they were released. :(

25. Speedy

Well last night Australia had its telethon and raised 90 million dollars (with many more coming though during the year.

Sadly it looks like another firebug was caught lighting one fire during it (and possibly another which is endangering another victorian chain

ANoher telephone tonight, another check to rwrite.