Australia on fire

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Wow, 90 million! That is amazing. It shows just how for every crappy person there is setting fires, there are thousands more who are good.

2. BatCountry

BatCountry New Member

I'm glad my godfather wasn't harmed...
    but this is just like the California Wildfires last year I believe, deliberately set off by some... punk

3. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

They've arrested one guy over the Church hill fires, so far...

he's only been charged.. obviously not convicted..

apparently swarms of people went out looking for him so he had to be transferred to a Melbourne prision for his own security (I think it was Melbourne.. = S *checks info) I'll get back to you.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hmmph. Plaster his face on all the news channels. Then drop all charges due to a technicality and release him at noon.

5. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Sadly the law is protecting him or/and her at this stage.

The media tried (i think they got in)to get into court. They were just not allowed to mention names, addresses and photos of the people

But, they have to be local, once glimse and someone will know who they are! SOmething as big as this we just have to wait it out. It'll come

6. Rei

Why are they protecting him? Was the person who did it under 18? That's the only reason they'd hide his name in Canada. I think the theory behind that is that the law recognizes that the mistakes of youth shouldn't ruin the person's life as an adult. There are exceptions to that, but generally I agree.

7. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

It seems to be an unpopular stance here, but I fail to see the logic in "those people killed people - that's so wrong - let's kill them". Sooner or later, the population would be wiped out if everyone followed that. I get that it is an emotion driven response, but that is (supposed to be) the function of law and why civilised societies employ it - due consequence without emotion being the primary factor in meting out punishment.

Everyone wants to see these people get what they deserve, including me, but I see no sense in becoming what you dislike in order to destroy what you dislike.

8. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Thank. You.

I dont support the death penality in the slightest; I dont understand why anyone could kill someone to demonstrate why murder is unacceptable. It's a fallacy in and of itself, makes me positively ill.

So my rule is always that those who bring death should be prepared to greet it. Not because I support it, but because that's how the world, unfortunately, operates.

This entire situation is miserable. It really reflects what little respect I have these days, and what little faith I have of improvement, of humankind.

9. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I, too, have moments of despair where I feel like faith in human nature as a whole is unjustified.

The thing is, situations like this have a remarkable tendency to bring out the best and worst in people. As people, we often allow emotion to become a powerful and irrational ruler over us - and the choices we make while under its influence are sometimes terrible, but also sometimes simply amazing. This alone gives me hope.

10. Rei

Besides, I can't think of any cases at the moment, but I believe there have been people who were executes and only after the fact were found out to be innocent. So even people who support the death penalty in principal can probably see the need to protect falsely accused people.

11. GreyWolf

GreyWolf New Member

They wouldn't want to let that guy out of hiding, there is sooo many people who would want to attack him, so many people who are very angry.

The fires are still burning. My friend up that way lost 16 of her horses :(
    Thankfully im not near there.

Cant belive how many people have died..sometimes you think "why didn't they just go! get out?, etc, but the fires on that day were going as fast as the wind, it was so windy that day, and alot of people did try and get out and some had accidents and then burned in there cars.

Australia just has fires all the time, some of the trees here NEED fire to pop open there seeds, You'd think there would be some better way already of helping people though fires, a better systum. Well i spose they will have some better idea now.

12. Speedy

Simple this person has not been proven guilty yet

Imagine if they cuahgt someone (say it was you, for anything) and you were actually innocent..... i mean this person could actually get injured or killed if their in the open. (or their families).

When they get proved guilty im hope they will and im sure they will show us, tell us who they are.

All i can say is, your right.
    People may disagree with e on this, but its just my opinion.

13. GreyWolf

GreyWolf New Member

His name has been released I read today...

14. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

You can think of it in a different way, if you like: it obliterates the possibility of abominable criminals somehow getting loose and wreaking more havoc.

Of course, there's still the issue of innocents being executed now and then, but it's still a little less hypocritical thinking of it that way.

15. Speedy

It'll never come back any time soon, we are pretty conservative out here.

WHat paper leaked this?

I'm sure i'll see this on the news.

16. GreyWolf

GreyWolf New Member

here's the link to 3AW website with the article: http://www.3aw.com.au/gippsland-arson-suspect-named/20090216-88o7.html

17. Speedy

Appriciated Grey

Good news.

18. GreyWolf

GreyWolf New Member

No worries ;) You can also listen online to 3AW, they have alot on about the fires all the time. I think ABC Melb also has online.

19. MugenMonster

MugenMonster New Member

yes it does, but the fires are starting to calm a bit down here in victoria. hope this is the end of them

20. GreyWolf

GreyWolf New Member

The Kinglake, Wilson's prom, healesville, murrindindi are still burning out of control, the beechworth one has just been contained.

I don't know if anyone is under threat, people would have to listen to ABC radio.