1. AWR

AWR New Member

Australian Writers & Poets

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by AWR, Feb 4, 2008.

When I first started writing I started bookmarking all the sites I found useful. As the list grew I realised that these links might be useful to others so I put together a website listing details of publishers, competitions and writers' groups. While it has an Australian focus, there are also some links that may be useful to people outside of Australia.

Anyway, take a look. I hope to keep it updated on a monthly basis as time permits.

AWR Title page

2 people like this.
  2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

a lot of work!... and a great gift to all oz-writers... i'm going to keep this in my stock of info for my mentees from there, if you don't mind my passing it on...

one thing though... that centered text is annoying and hard to read... if you can left-align those parts, it would look/read much better...

kudos to you for doing this!... hope the mods will sticky it...

love and hugs, maia

3. AWR

AWR New Member

Pass it on!
    I did it because I thought it would be useful to others.

I'll change the centred text with the next scheduled update (Mar 1) and see what people think then.

Thanks for the feedback.

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

This is a great source and as an Australian member here I thank you for the time you have spent putting it together.

It really is a most wonderful site and most very helpful indeed.

Torana

5. Isabellasong

Isabellasong New Member

thanks

As an Australian, your post was invaluable! Thanks!

6. AWR

AWR New Member

March update to Australian Writers Resource has now been uploaded

More links and a new interesting links page. I find the Buzzwhack amusing as it lists Buzz words creeping into the language.

If you have any suggested links I would appreciate it.

7. AWR

AWR New Member

Moved my website to a better domain name

Find the Australian Writers' Resource now at
    www.austwriters.com

Any suggestions welcome. I had one person say I could jazz it up a bit(without saying how though). I wanted to keep it simple and easy to print if you want to but is it too simple?

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I think that it looks good. It is easy to read, clear, easy to navigate. I wouldn't change it to be honest. I think the look of it is rather good. :)

You are most very welcome :)

9. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Bookmarked - great resource!

Though I'm still not entirely sure which publisher I'd send my science fiction/horror/drama manuscript to. Any suggestions?

10. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

This is a well put together site, and I think it looks fine as is.

It's great to have all these resources at hand on one site, so much thanks for that. :)

11. mammamaia

is it a novel, or a short story?... that aside, no one can really advise you on that without having read what it is you have to offer...

best thing to do is go to your nearest large bookstore and see which books/magazines carry the sort of stuff you want to sell... and, if it's a book, you'd do much better to see if you can snag an agent first...

12. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Thanks m.

It's a novel. I'll borrow one of those "how-to" books on publishing and agents, etc. before placing my work out there. It's still a little way from ready.

13. AWR

AWR New Member

I have moderate success with short stories. I just keep sending them out. I've had one rejected 3 or 4 times before publication. I'd review and play with it each time it came back and sling it off somewhere else. Not had much time lately to write but I have stories/articles appearing in two anthologies, one journal and one ezine in the near future.

Actually got a royalty cheque the other day for one piece in an anthology - mind you it almost covered what I outlaid on copies for friends and family :redface:

I have a novel that's bounced around quite a few publishers. I don't have an agent as I cannot afford to pay yet for one. I get told it is written well, even had one small publisher tell me they would if they could but not across the finish line yet.

I figure its my first novel. You know the one. The one publishers suddenly decide is worth publisher after you have made a name for yourself!

14. mammamaia

huh?... NO legit agent will cost you a single penny up front, so i don't know what you think getting an agent entails, or what you think you'd have to 'pay'...

both of you should read up on agents and what to watch out for here:

http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors/pubagent.htm

and check the listings on that site, before approaching any agent or publisher...

hugs, maia

15. AWR

AWR New Member

I knew that ... I knew that truly
    Don't know why I made that comment ... maybe I was getting confused with Manuscript reviewers of something. I really don't know.

I have been going through the Literary agents listed on the Australian Literary Agent Association and will check them out. A lot of them don't take unsolicited submissions, or don't take novels of my genre or just not taking submissions. I'll look wider but am going to do that carefully ...

Its a first novel but I do have faith in it so I'll keep trying.

... germs of ideas brew for another one but at the moment I have study that takes priority.