Author freaking out over one star review

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Jack Asher, Jun 8, 2015.

1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I would have thought "real" bestselling authors wouldn't need kickstarters. o_O

2. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

I did notice that ambiguous statement about "best-seller in several categories in many countries."

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

No. There have been legitimate NYT Best-selling authors who have used Kickstarter to crowd fund projects. They probably have an easier time hitting their goals.

4. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Also, anyone notice how anti-publisher/editor he is?
    He mentions over and over how other authors have real magick in their books by do not delve into it.
    He seems to say that other powers that be would have forced it into the books as the author most likely did not realize what it was...

5. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

Surprising things I learned:

- He's on several best seller lists (according to him)

- He has over 65,000 twitter followers

He also 'sites' the work of several authors and is quick to criticize them but has no qualms about putting forward how good he feels his own work is. I find the guy interesting, his arrogance and lack of self awareness is astounding to me.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Heh. So, he might have been the best-seller in the left-handed gluten-free hiking cookbook category, in Lithuania, for one day?

7. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Did anyone find his rambling explanation of his book on his blogspot? My favorite part was when he explained that, "You can't get any nutrients from meat. And if someone ever tells you that you can, ask them when the last time they killed an animal themselves and ate it's living flesh was. The answer will be 'never' because that can't happen."

Or to quote him directly, "If the Path of Truth did not lead you to become a vegan anarchist, you did not go all the way."

8. doggiedude

Ohhh... He's a vegan. That explains soooooo much. I don't know how I missed him talking about his CrossFit, gluten-free vegan lifestyle.
    [​IMG]

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. A.M.P.

But...
    Why would there be less nutrients in meat that you did not yourself kill?
    Must be kill and eat their still beating hearts to gain strength?

I mean... logic 101 students could destroy that argument without even thinking.

10. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

Thanks for the compliment :meh: I'll have to rant more about gluten-free and CrossFit (even though I don't do any of that) so you can name-check me next time.

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

And here I was angsting over my own stories. Damn. At least I have the honesty to say that my stuff isn't gonna be the stuff of legends like he's saying his will be (apparently)...

Kinzvlle likes this.
  12. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

So I've been following this thread for entertainment value and found myself on his twitter. I`m not gonna bash him on the writing because I`m inexperienced myself, and I'm sure I make a slew of mistakes, and at he keeps making new books so somebody reading this somewhere. I will bash the fact that along with freaking out over bad reviews, and being argonet in interviews he tweets quotes from his book with the hashtag #booksthatmatter. Really? You're serous? We all want are books to matter on some level but the sheer amount of tweets he has with that tag. Not one of them is about someone else's book, only his. He`s not the only author using their own books with the tag, though most of the tag seems to be used by reviewers, booksellers, and general readers. It`s not even that he uses it to promote his own books alone. I would never do it, but he`s not the only author, but he has at least 3 tweets with the tag and maybe if it was just that I wouldn`t make not of that but on top of everything else, it`s just *shakes head*.. Better be careful or he might get an Andrzej Sapkowski style rep for arrogance. Though that hasn`t hurt his popularity at all so.....*shrugs*

13. A.M.P.

The guy who wrote the witcher stories is arrogant?
    That makes me sad.

14. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

He has a reputation for being so from what I've seen online. I watched a interview with him where he talked about how he doesn`t play the games (or any games, how the games popularity had no effect on his own (he called the notion bullcrap), replied to the question of living in the wicthers world by asking the person if he had been released from an insane asylum (it was a joke..I think), and when asked about similar books about people slaying monsters for gold he dismvily said don`t read those. He came off a confident there, mabye overcinfindent but I don`t know if it mathed the level of arrogence his repuatoin paints. Then again I can my ability to read and watch interviews with a polish writer hinges on them being translated or given English subtitles so I may be missing some infamous remarks over the langue barriers. *shrugs* His books are enjoyable regardless.

15. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Maybe he puts some of himself into his characters.

16. A.M.P.

@Kinzvlle
    Mebe I'll watch one of the interviews and see if there's something lost in translation.

17. Jack Asher

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I found his IMDB page, he really hasn't shown up in anything I have really heard of out side of CSI.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3324902/?ref_=nmmd_ph_nm1

I don't think he needs a Kickstarter to write his shitty series. Though I do think it was cut short since it has not made much progression beyond being a fifth of the way done. Perhaps he couldn't take the evil non-vegan truth. :superlaugh:

19. doggiedude

He has this as a personal quote on IMDB - "It is much more important to have great spirit and imagination than great skill and power."

Something about not seeing great skill as important that rings true.

Cave Troll likes this.
  20. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Lol.

21. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

His kickstarter has $0 in it... surprise!

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

"To the Initiated, it is Antimony, a symbol of the Free Spirit."

Uh huh. You know I read excerpts of "Human, All Too Human A Book of Free Spirits" by Freiderich Neitzsche. Then I read excerpts of your book of "Free Spirits." And buddy, you're no Friederich Neitzsche.

Cave Troll likes this.
  23. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Mr. Saccoccio has formally been invited to join our forums. Found a way to contact him.

I watched some of the 28:05 video about his new book... was confusing. I have absolutely no idea what it's about. Almost seemed like he believes the magic system he created is real.

Edit:
    Must stop all that you're doing and click this link. Regan the Vegan video. Almost died laughing.
    https://medium.com/@DylanSaccoccio
    His weekly newsletter
    https://tarotartblog.wordpress.com/

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Cave Troll and Okon like this.
  24. Jack Asher

I assume you mean formally. I'd like to add:
    WHY WOULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK THAT WAS A GOOD IDEA?!

Krispee, Sifunkle, Cave Troll and 2 others like this.
  25. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Member

Well that was the most boring intro I think I've read in recent history. So much for leading with action. Maybe he'd have more backers if his sample wasn't an emotional wasteland? I mean, it is possible to write exposition and still make it interesting. This just felt like taking sleeping pills while Morgan Freeman narrates the process by which a cow digests grass.

Also, has anyone ever had vegan smoothie or 'health drink' that made you feel 'strong as an ox?' In my experience they just kinda taste like sulfuric poo and give me a stomach ache.

Also, for some reason I feel like the boy from 'the boy and the peddler of death' looks like Andrej Pejic. Which isn't a bad thing, but I am curious as to whether or not that was the look the author was going for or if it's purely coincidental.

Last edited: May 26, 2016