Author freaking out over one star review

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Jack Asher, Jun 8, 2015.

1. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Yes, auto correct struck in the wee hours of the night.

Well, two reasons.

1) I had seen virtually nothing of his work yet, so after doing so I understand your use of bold lettering.

2) Not a fan of talking behind someone's back without giving them a chance to speak on their behalf.

On a side note, he replied to me. He shall not be joining us here.

Thanks for sharing, I looked at a couple of the comments, but instead of getting upset, I just felt really sad. Take my experience as a lesson if you can. Back then, I was working 100+ hours/week marketing my books, etc. That's how I got it to sell multiple copies/day for over a year and almost 100 positive reviews. But I was burnt out, attacked twice that week, and if anyone knew how much of a challenge it was just to sell 1 book/day, they might think about how they treat people's work on the platforms that help authors make an income, especially in an economy where 50 million Americans are on food stamps and the average salary is less than $30k/year. The reality is that if you can get one person to buy your book in a day, you're a rockstar as far as I'm concerned. I'm not adverse to constructive criticism, but all I tend to see is people talking about others' work the way they talk to themselves in the mirror at night. These platforms that have star systems should do away with them and just allow reviews to go up. If people just saw these empty reviews with nothing of value instead of a pentacle, then perhaps it wouldn't deter others from buying. But there's a specific reason those platforms choose that archetypal symbol to speak to the subconscious minds of its readers. If you're trying to entice me to appear on those threads, they unfortunately have nothing to do with me, and I will not be feeding that.

However, if you reached out to me through a good place, then I'd like to humbly thank you. Learn from my mistakes. Don't worry about this Yelp culture that tears people's work apart. Their destruction will be self-induced, and the silver lining in all of this was that it allowed me to get out of the awful state of duality that I had been in by being on Goodreads, being notified every time someone left an entropic statement about my work, and go back to writing. Do I wish I could've learned this lesson another way, yes. But cause and effect does not work that way. By their fruit you shall know them. Remember that. These entities that consume everything... What are they producing? What Knowledge do they initiate you into? Ask these questions of them to yourself. These self-loathing people that take to bashing the work of others' will all be gone soon. There is a correction coming. Some may call it a collapse, but it is not so. The Tale of Onora was my effort to make available what I know and teach people the axioms that are necessary to preparing and thriving in the next paradigm, should enough people use their Will to change the current system of debt and death, and switch to a system of freedom and competitive currencies, etc., so that the amount of suffering can be alleviated and people won't be waiting for the predetermined solutions of the chaos sorcerers that invoked the correction in the first place. It is coming. They've already invoked it. What's on the ribbon in he eagle's mouth on the back of the US dollar? E Pluribus Unum: "From many (Out of many), One." This corresponds to the 2 faces on each side of the gold embroidered maritime admiralty flag that decorates the Senate wall. Fasces is where Fascism derives from. Ironically, what is above that occulted phoenix's head (the eagle) on the USD? 13 Pentacles representing the 13 families that control it. What is significant about 13 in this instance? 13 is the number of sorceresses in a Coven. There seems to be confusion that I don't know what I'm talking about in regards to money. I feel deep sorrow for those that take in the words of he/she who makes that claim.

Thanks again for reaching out, and I hope this message finds you serving Truth at all costs. I'll leave you with the words of one of my favorite teachers.

"Goodness alone is Power, Silence is Strength, Will regaineth Omnipotence, and Love lieth at the foundation of all. Mean thoughts, passions and low ideals, have killed thousands. You cannot afford to entertain such guests. Therefore, expire them with your next breath, and bid them an eternal farewell." - Thomas H. Burgoyne

- Dylan

2. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

After reading that, I no longer think he's mentally retarded. He's batshit crazy.

3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    batcountry.gif

joeh1234 likes this.
  4. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

At first I thought he was just gonna talk about how hard and stressful it is selling a book, and how he was burnt out and flipped out and i`m like ok, good for you for.....oh wait what? No? Not where this is going? Oh well....I..just *shakes head.*

Mumble Bee likes this.
  5. Quixote's Biographer

Quixote's Biographer Active Member

From his Publishizer page:

"So why should you support artists like me? Because I'm not beholden to anyone but the Creator. I've been initiated, but I choose not to belong to any collective, for that is the destruction of individualism. That's the grave mistake that everyone is making. The dark occultists seek a return to the Golden Age through the destruction of sovereignty and individualism. The light occultists seek to unite people through Truth, for there will be Freedom only when the structure of Knowledge looks like a round table where everyone has a seat, versus a pyramid structure where only the initiated know it, and people understand the most occulted Knowledge of all: that of the Self and of Natural Law. Our actions are only as good as the information we've taken in. I know what's going on. I understand the Law of Correspondence deeply. That's why I became vegan."

To quote Colin Farrell in the absurd, surrealistic movie The Lobster: "That makes perfect sense."

6. doggiedude

I'm confused... When was this golden age of individualism?
    Was it back when people owned slaves?
    Was it when monarchs ruled people and literally owned everything they had?
    Perhaps it was back when we were hunting & gathering in packs?

7. Mordred85

Mordred85 Active Member

I'm going to "unwatch" this post, because I don't see the purpose in continuing to bash this guy forever. At first, I reacted like everyone else, but it doesn't make me any better to amuse myself and belittle this poor excuse of an author.

8. Quixote's Biographer

Quixote's Biographer Active Member

You're right, it's not nice and I'll stop too. I just arrived late so all this, all the links, the books and everything is fairly new to me but I see this has been going on for a while. Maybe a bit too long.

BruceA and Mordred85 like this.
  9. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Member

Reading that makes me feel like I'm back in greek philosophy class. Like, it started out sounding a bit hyper-sensitive and pathetic, unconscious of the fact that many of the people on this forum have written, published and sold books. Thereby making his implication that 'they don't know my hardship so they can't judge me' logic invalid. And it's like, sure, the dude is a bit of a wuss, has thin skin and is egotistical to boot. Okay. That's somewhere in the realm of norm-

Gw6zf.gif

It's an apocalypse cult, run away.

Oscar Leigh and Kinzvlle like this.
  10. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

I`m a bit confused, I actually had thought that after the book review this had all died down and was lost in the melee of normal forum business. Here we are back at it again.
    I just didn`t have the energy to read all that guys stuff, perhaps he`s the enlightened one, what do I know. I do know that his writing, like mine, isn`t good enough yet, but unlike him, I`m going to keep working until it kills me or I get it right. And to say that everyone else is wrong and you are right is literally the singularity of crazy, right there, and a good part down the road on which the insane travel.
    The bit that I really don`t understand is his explanations for other writers descriptions, especially Rothfuss, who`s books I really enjoy. Does Saccoccio really believe that what people write about actually exist?

I`m confused.....again......

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. doggiedude

I had someone in one of my writer groups start talking about his character in the first person. It got a bit scary. I may have peed a little.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. Krispee

Um, what?
    That sounds like a different kind of scary.

13. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

He honestly believes the magic system he created in his books is real life applicable. There's a 40+ min video, meant to discuss his third book, which turned out to be a weird ramble about how the "world" works. Didn't understand anything he was saying.

14. Krispee

Really? He doesn`t understand that Rothfuss, like all writers, just makes it all up?

15. ArQane

ArQane Member

Probably could've gotten at least a 3 star if he ran it over with us. 10/10

16. PipR2003

PipR2003 New Member

The reviewer was well within his rights to give a bad review. The author was also allowed to get annoyed. However I believe both parties went a bit too far into the argument and got a bit too agitated. It is such a shame that that author got caught up in that mess.