1. ugu

ugu New Member

Authors that you don't like whose books you continue to read anyway.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by ugu, Jun 13, 2008.

I've learned to despise Dan Brown, Meg Cabot, and Nicholas Sparks (just to name a few) after reading three of their books in a row. I feel miserable every time I finish their books. I complain endlessly about their writing and I wonder why their books are popular. Yet every time their new book comes out, I just can't resist pulling it out of the shelves and reading it cover to cover. I do this partly because I know what to expect from them and their books don't take any brain power (I rarely spend more than two days on them).

Which authors do you have a similar kind of hate-love relationship with?

2. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Well, I think Stephen King's written some pretty good books, but there's a lotta crappy ones he did, too. So, whenever I need something to read, I pick up one of his books and hope it doesn't suck. Lately I've been grabbing a lotta dumb Stephen King's at the library, but I read 'em anyway because I wanna know how it ends.

I dunno if that really counts, though :redface:

3. Klee

Klee New Member

V.C. Andrews...I don't like her books very much but...I'm a sucker for drama.....*hides*

4. Cobra517

Cobra517 New Member

What's the worst book he's written in your opinion?

5. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Maybe it's just me, I don't understand how you can not like an author, but keep reading their books, unless you don't like them as a person.

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I never do that. If I don't like something I literally do not read it. I am rather fussy with my reading and refuse to continue reading what I don't like.

If I don't like the way an author writes, then there is no way I am going to continue reading there work. I see no point in that. If I don't enjoy it, why do it?

7. Flightlessfoofaraw

Flightlessfoofaraw New Member

Definately Dan Brown. He writes such cheesey cliches, and you can see them coming a mile off. I gain no satisfaction at all from his writing (i think it's simplistic and melodramatic), though I suppose his stories are compelling.

8. TenderHeart

TenderHeart New Member

The worst Stephen King book IMHO was Gerald's Game.

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I read My Sweet Audrene (sp?)

It was just plain creepy disturbing.

Andrews needs therapy.

10. Klee

Klee New Member

Andrews is dead :)

11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The ultimate therapy! :D

12. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Cures all ills. ;)

I really can't see the point of reading something you don't like, unless you're in school.

13. InkDancer

InkDancer New Member

It's usually a series that hooks me. There have been fantasy series that I have wanted to know the ending on, and that kept me reading far beyond the point of pleasure.

14. kissingtheshadows

kissingtheshadows New Member

I absolutely love Laurell K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series (haven't got to reading the Anita Blake series yet but that's next on my list) but if there's one complaint I have with her writing, she uses way too much detail. Sometimes she goes over a page long describing a character's appearance. Of course you gotta tell what the character looks like, but you never want to go overboard or else it'll be dull, and I see that a lot in authors and it bugs me.

15. Moira

Moira New Member

Guh! I'm glad you brought Laurell K. up. I loved her Anita Blake series up until around book six. Then it was ALL sex. She spent an ENTIRE 600 pages in one bedroom. (Only a slight exsageration. About 10 were in a bathroom, and another 10 were in a docs office.) I couldn't believe it. Her newest book I've heard is good, but I just can't bring myself around to reading it.

-Moira

16. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I think the worst King novel, was either, The Shining, or Tommynockers.

The Shining was a copy of Poe's 'Fall of the House of Usher' and Tommynockers was a copy of Lovecraft's 'The Colour out of Space.'

Dan Brown is yes, I'm reading Digital Fortress now, and had to stop myself from laughing at all the rubbish, cheap comparisons and plotlines he writes.

Dale Brown is another, though better than Dan Brown, his descriptions are vague and stories fail to make logical sense. A politically active group of Eco-Warriors bomb Texas with a Nuclear weapon? Silly.