1. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Automatic Thread Closure

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Gannon, Jul 23, 2008.

I've seen thread automatically close to posts on some sites after a set period of time. The final post in the threads affected reads: This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Just wondering if that is something we'd want to implement here so as to save old, old threads being rehashed. Not that they actually seem to.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't really see a need. If an old topic becomes relevant again, why restrict it just because it's old. That's age discrimination! :)

Occasionally something does get dredged up again that should remain laid to rest, but in that case the mods can and do shut it down manually.

3. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I agree, if someone wants to go back to it, it makes sence to use an allready existing thread than to make a new one up again where half of the same old stuff are going to be repeated anyways.

A good suggestion though.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I did notice on the main Forums page under the "Un-Reviewed Writing" box, a story that I clicked on yesterday and was about to review.

Then I saw that it was posted back in May of 2007. At first I thought about a quick review, just to get it off that list, but didn't want to bump something that old.

I am not sure if the member is even still with us anymore and didn't want to waste time on a review better spent elsewhere.

5. Cogito

Well, even an old piece of writing may still be worth a review. Maybe the author will never see it, but I feel that making an effort to dissect a piece of writing rewards teh reviewer with experience and insight.

But it really does point out even more that reviews like "This is great. Post more!" are a total waste of keystrokes.

6. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Cogito,

I agree with you, and that is why I go to that particular location on the main page - to look for un-reviewed writing. I'd already completed half the review when I noticed the age and remembered a post in the Forums that stated that 'bumping old posts was simply not done."

*Confused*

I also agree that "great work" without any constructive feedback or even an explanation as to why it is so great is counterproductive for the writer.

What I meant by getting it off the list, was a comment such as "posting to remove from Un-reviewed writing list." Shouldn't that space on the main page be taken by a current piece of un-reviewed writing.

If bumping a post from over a year ago where the member has only 30 posts at this point in time is acceptable to everyone, I don't have a problem reviewing it; however, I find that reviewing works by current members is both a benefit to me and hopefully to them, therefore a win-win, rather than just a win.

Regards, D

7. Cogito

Thread bumping doesn't mean raising an old thread from the dead with a fresh perspective. Thread bumping is posting a noise post for the sole purpose of keeping a thread alive.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

P.S. - The reason that old threads are showing up in Unreviewed Writing is that everyone has been great at homing in on new unreviewed pieces. And that deserves a great big Thank You to everyone who has been so quick to respond to unreviewed pieces.

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Cogito,

Thank you.
    Learned a new word from you yesterday and today phrase clarification. :)