Average user of this site.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Christopher Snape., Oct 20, 2014.

1. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

We are pieces of shit, aren't we?

ETA: On the "what is wealth good for...": Don't you know that my mansion is more important than thousands' survival?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Why do I get the feeling that after about the first page, the OP was just leaning back and thinking "Yeah, that's so not what I was asking".

3. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

Because you likely have a tendency for thinking of true things.

Wreybies likes this.
  4. Christopher Snape.

Christopher Snape. Member

It's no problem. I'm actually rather proud that I created a thread with over 1000 views. Probably my first major achievement on this forum!

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

You do realize (after being a member of this forum for years) that this happens to EVERY THREAD IN EXISTENCE, right? :p

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I know, I know. One does try to keep hope alive, though. ;) :p

T.Trian and minstrel like this.
  7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

We managed to keep a thread alive for 8 pages where no one said anything more interesting than 'Fanfiction is shitty', 'No, fanfiction rules!'. 8 pages of that. 8!

8. aikoaiko

aikoaiko Senior Member

I'm not going to get into tangents either (this is an emotional subject so I won't say much more about it), but I have to echo Artist369 in saying that collapse would be a VERY bad thing, particularly for those trying to make a living and support families. A thinking society is always important, but the Constitution here has been enormously successful. Recent attempts by government to blindside it haven't helped any segment of our population.:(:(

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

What about the italics-for-thoughts thread? That one has to take the trophy for most posts with least value! I still can't believe it's gone on as long as it has. :rolleyes: ;)

Komposten and Lemex like this.
  10. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I read that thread looking for an answer. Luckily, when I started reading there were only 16 pages. Probably two of my less sane hours in life so far, those I spent reading that, though at least I (somehow) managed to get an answer out of it. :agreed:

11. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Even in italics for thoughts?

minstrel likes this.
  12. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Well, I'm coming up on 60, so "older", white female who bounces between left wing and right wing depending on subject. I don't like gun control because of extremists; I've been on welfare a few times while raising my son alone so I know the pain in the ass it is; I embrace ACA with all its warts because I've been among the working poor most of my life, working full-time jobs and still not being able to afford insurance and/or the companies I worked for didn't offer it; I tend to distrust die-hard right wingers because they love scare tactics, but I tend to distrust die-hard lefties because they love to use the underdog to get back at the rightwing.

As to writers, I have been disappointed to find that they are no more open-minded than the next guy, and are often extremely judgemental. They also love to be right, and tend to ignore facts in order to be so. So higher intelligence is a bit of a self-congratulatory thing that really can't be proven. Better educated, possibly, but that just means they found the money, somehow, some way. I often think I would have been happier if I hadn't joined any writing forums, and could continue to see the Emporer's fine clothes, rather than his rather tiny appenditure...

13. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

You know, I really wonder about this myself! When I was on here a lot more - before the site upgrade (only 90s kids remember the old layout :p), there were a lot of us who were younger, myself included. Post-site upgrade, I feel like the membership around here has gotten older. Maybe it's because everyone from a younger perspective moved on to other social media sites or discussion groups, as I have. Maybe there's something about the format of a forum that appeals more to older people, because I really don't see a lot of people my age attracted to the forum format for whatever reasons.

I'm also seeing less liberality and more conservative viewpoints here, oddly enough.

14. Lemon flavoured

Lemon flavoured Active Member

I think that's quite probable.

15. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Sorry but this is totally misguided. You get excellent care from the nhs and you can get anything you want - it is actually too liberal in my opinion- a 16 year old recently got a breast enlargement on the nhs! So to say it is rationed healthcare is utter rubbish. What the nhs lacks and where it cuts corners is number of staff - so waiting times are longer than private healthcare ( which you can get in the UK too) . The healthcare tax is not crippling - and I'm happy to contribute to society and humanity in this way as it saves lives. You can get the very best treatment on the nhs even if your homeless and penniless. That is a great thing. Also the nhs has no hidden agenda, doesn't push drugs on you that are made by particular drug companies who sponsor the us system. The nhs won't up your payments when you have a history of illness. I hear so many horror stories from the us system, but only praise for the nhs. Why else would Obama fight to have a similar system?

16. AoA

AoA Member

I'm a 17 year old guy, if that means anything :p
    I'm odd. I believe strongly in having Kings and Queens running things rather than the crap system called a republic, or as the idiotic American public (and the media) call it, "democracy". Sorry, but I despise how our system works. I'm conservative, but not the moronic "conservative" person of today. Conservative means you don't want rapid, unneeded change. I hate the modern "conservative" ideaolgy pretty much to the core.
    I don't believe the average person should have any say whatsoever in government. To me it is a horrific and stupifying example of insanity that normal people have a say in government. The average person has no idea in the slightest about governance. Since they are stuck being elected, officials make all sorts of foolish laws to please the people electing them. It's a never ending cycle of stupidity and mediocrity. I'd much rather have an intelligent leader controlling things without having to be bossed around by the public.
    Okay, rant over now :D
    By the way, I'm probably considered socially liberal just so you know.

17. shadowwalker

Oh no - no way.

18. AoA

AoA Member

Actually, you'd be amazed at some of my views. Examples: women's rights I know I am considered liberal because I fully believe in equality between men and women. Abortion I am a liberal if you go by modern definitions (pro-choice). And I love the ACA idea of healthcare exchanges. So, some of my views are liberal at least.
    And I don't think Obama is really that bad so that might be considered liberal.

19. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

My Lud @AoA,

Why thankee for thou'st wisdom departed acroff a blanket of noble subthect and fieldth. Wilthst many maie believe thou hathst sertainly giventh the future of thy society mulch cansiderashun, and I thank ye for that, I perthonly and fervently disagree with yew as I adhere to the demmocratic principele and shall fight ye to the death. DEath to your tyrant majesty, viva wepublic

Grub Pikeman of the NEw Modell Armie, Putney.

jannert likes this.
  20. shadowwalker

You may have some liberal views, same as I do, but the rest of your post - you're saying you're willing to put those views up for grabs, based on one person's decisions and biases. If it weren't for those ignorant commoners and the foolish people they elected, there's a good chance we wouldn't have things like civil rights laws, especially if certain "intelligent" individuals had been king.

Christopher Snape. likes this.
  21. AoA

AoA Member

You're misinterpreting me a bit. My views are never "up for grabs". I will always believe what I want and no one can change that. Anyway, you want certain rights? It's called a reveloution. Maybe some people think I'm harsh. I am. I see no reason to be otherwise.

22. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

What I gather from @AoA's post is that everything would be better if he was king, and not anyone who doesn't share his views;).

Edit to stay on topic: I think the only trait common among us is a love for writing. It seems like a wide pool of neat people here.

jannert likes this.
  23. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

There are countries which operate under a dictatorship, with the occasional revolution to install a new dictatorship. It's rare such a process is considered something to aspire to.

24. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Are these really italics, or am I just thinking them?

25. Christopher Snape.

Christopher Snape. Member

My issue is, it seems that you're assuming the person on top will be a good leader despite being selected by birthright rather than talent, the former of which is a key point of the feudal system.

Case in point: King Louis XVI and Tsar Nicholas II.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014