Tags:
  1. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

Best blogging sites?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Millamber, Sep 11, 2017.

Hi All,

Apologies if this doesn't belong here - please move to the correct area as required.

I'm about to start a 13 month journey in preparation to run a marathon... something I thought I'd never want to do or even attempt, and whilst it's still something I don't want to do, I am going to atleast attempt it next year, giving myself plenty of time to drop some of my considerable weight and get fitter too.

I want to consider blogging my progress as I go, as a motivational too, so my question is, as per the title... what are the best/most popular blogging sites people use, preferable free of charge?

Looking at hits to site, ease of use to set up and navigate around, etc.

Just looking for some information and opinions on something I've never ventured into before.

Thanks
    M

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I'd go for tumblr. It sounds best suited to your venture and will automatically get you more hits than somewhere like blogspot, simply because it's 'trendier'.

It's also fully customisable, too, if that's your thing.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Juuust in case the blog turns into a Thing, I'd suggest that you spring for the ten or so dollars a year for a custom domain. I think that most of the free blogging sites let you use your own domain.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

wordpress.com or a facebook page

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

One issue with Facebook is that you usually have to be logged in to Facebook to see the content.

6. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

I have Wordpress, with a custom domain name, and a FB page. I had tumblr a long time ago, but I'm just not a fan of it.

7. ginkgo88

ginkgo88 New Member

squarespace is a really great host with very nice layouts that are allow customization and can easily adapt into a professional site, complete with shop, if you want that later. It also has easy to use metric tools and is generally aesthetically pleasing, if that's important to you. It's a tiny bit pricey, but if you have as student email there's a discount and the month to month options are not bad if you can't do the lump sum for the yearly annual subscription. The yearly subscription includes a domain name though, and as others have suggested, I would definitely grab and keep a domain name if you ever plan on having a publicly published career. Social media presence and marketing are a huge part of modern success.