Avoiding making your main character you...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by revelcharlie, Nov 30, 2014.

1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Gonna say up front hard for me to relate to this problem. Me with characters I make things I really like. In my main story currently the Main character (Valorie) is a shining example of purirty and goodness to the fault of being so good she accidently hurts people with it. This is not a quality I have, but I quality I would have liked to have. Another main character (Victoria) kind of goes dexter on people which again I think is a life style I might have enjoyed(does that make me evil?) So I see pieces of myself in characters. I your making then you, maybe you should step back, and think why they are that way? Unless you are making them you on purpose I am sure there should be some differences and once you spot them maybe you add to them and shape them into a unique form.

Ps I made a self insert character once. I killed him. Does that say bad things about me? I seriously tried to think of a way to make him live, didn't work. So he died, something my ex hated when we were together.

Simpson17866 likes this.