1. General Daedalus

General Daedalus Banned

Your Thoughts On My Concept

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by General Daedalus, Jul 15, 2015.

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, so I'd like to say something very quickly. I'm 16 years old, and I've been planning on getting back into writing for a few years now. I've finally got some free time, so I'm starting work on a novel. I began yesterday- so far I've only got around 3600 words (I've been writing non-stop for the past 24 hours), but I've done some pretty extensive rewrites already and I think that what I've got so far is pretty good. I'm not going to share it right now, as I'm still unhappy with it, but I'd love to know what everyone thinks of my concept.

The novel is set in 1960, the golden age of aviation. It revolves around a pilot, a Pan Am captain, who is essentially paid to go globetrotting. It is centred around his crew as well, his first officer and the four stewardesses who travel with them. The plot, without giving too much away, catalogues the Captain's journey through life, as he tried to overcome his own problems, preferably before he drinks himself to death. He is a self-loathing narcissist, a cynic whose bleak outlook on life actually helps him through it. Drowning in a sea of meaningless women, fighting a gambling problem and turning to drugs, the book follows him through the sixties and deals with patriarchalism, racism and other social issues of the time. Amidst the tensions of the Cold War, his reckless attitude has him laughing in the face of death on multiple accounts. I plan to provide an indepth analysis of his psyche, examining the character's delusions of grandeur and his insatiable need for power.

You may call me a cynic, but most of his views are based on my own. From the political opinions to the religious views, I have some controversial opinions. And this book is a way for me to voice them, while also dealing with some important issues.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Do you think that it would make for an interesting read? As I said, I didn't want to give too much away, but I do have some plot twists planned. It's all very much a work-in-progress idea, but I plan on seeing it through until the end.

2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

First of all, welcome! :D

My first impression, without any context of the storyline itself, is that it sounds a lot like the character in the movie Flight. Denzel Washington portrays a pilot very similar to what you've laid out here, with the drugs, alcohol, and women. The only difference, obviously, is that Denzel is being investigated for what happened with his plane. If you haven't seen it, I suggest watching it. It's very entertaining. :)

Overall, he seems like a solid character. I can't comment on whether or not it'd be an interesting read because you didn't provide any details of the plot itself. But strong characters are the foundation to a successful story in my opinion. So it seems like a good start!

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Sounds like a well formulated outline for a novel. I say go for it.

Welcome to the forum. :superhello:

4. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

It is a good starting point. It sounds like a cross between madmen and pan-am to me, two American TV shows. But the key will be how it is written.

5. General Daedalus

General Daedalus Banned

Thanks for the feedback, everyone :) I've picked up a copy of WriteItNow since I want to get organised and plot it properly, and then I'll get down to working on it.