Back to square one

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Cherie, Nov 29, 2010.

1. flanneryohello

flanneryohello New Member

Ah...I assumed you were going the self-publishing route because you were submitting a PDF. Most publishers (all that I know of, at least) require that submissions be in .doc or even .rtf format, not PDF. Hence my confusion.

Of course, as your book contains pictures/images, the requirements might be different. I'm a novel-writer, myself.

2. Cherie

Cherie New Member

Hi, again, flanneryohello,

The confusion is probably caused by my not knowing how to get my book published, and allowing myself to be sent in all directions, without knowing that many of them were not the way to go. I originally thought that Amazon.com was the place to sell my book (I buy books there myself). Then I was informed that I would need to find a POD and was referred to several. I checked into them, and one of them told me that they only accept books in 16 point font, double-spaced and in PDF format. I believed them, and formated the book accordingly, which threw me into another tailspin. I am backing off of all of it now, and just trying to find a publisher of my kind of book. I may or may not be successful, but writing is my thing, not printing minutiae. I hope to hear back from the publisher, but either way, I am at least heading in roughly the right direction (I hope). LOL

Cherie

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

cherie...
    for a non-fiction book you need much more than just a query letter... you'll need to have a full book proposal ready to send before you even start querying, as some publishers will want it with the query letter, to save time and trouble requesting it if the query tickles their fancy...

if you don't know what a proposal consists of, or want help putting it together, email me and i'll send you basic info and some tips from the pros and will be happy to give you a hand with assembling an effective one...

as for the 'shame' factor, that's because i 'reformed' over 15 years ago after a lifetime of eating anything that moved and wearing their skins and no longer cause the killing of my fellow creatures in order to eat them, or use any part of their corpses in any way...