1. tmrose

tmrose New Member

Background research on climate change - seeking sources

Discussion in 'Research' started by tmrose, Dec 21, 2012.

Hi there,

I'm looking for good sources on climate change to help me establish the setting of my novel. I've seen (and read) An Inconvenient Truth and Field Notes from a Catastrophe, and looked up some websites (saharaforestproject.com, onedrop.org, David Suzuki and Jane Goodall's websites). I'm looking for recommendations on other titles or websites that might help paint a picture of what the world could look like in 100 years on our current tract. There are a lot of books out there, but there seems to be a lot of redundancy based on what I've already read. My local library is also lacking a bit, and I'm trying to be cost-sensitive to this, though I'm more than willing to pay for a couple of really good books on the topic.

Any suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Have you read Al Gore's other book? It's called Our Choice.

3. tmrose

tmrose New Member

Thank you for the recommendation. I haven't. I also picked up The Long Emergency this week-end. I'll look into the other Gore book.

4. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

When I googled 'climate change', I found a wide variety of resources published by well known scientific organisations and publications. I don't know how much effort they put into predicting the future, but there's certainly a lot of good information which is very easy to find.

5. tmrose

tmrose New Member

I concur, but right now I'm looking for quality recommendations rather than quantity. I'm finding a lot of repetation, and having to spend money to research this, I want to find the works most worth reading. I've also been scouring goodreads for a while to figure out the best pieces that I can read - reading scientific abstracts is a little like reading latin to me. The websites I've been reviewing aren't as in depth as I'd like.

6. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Your best bet is to check out IPCC findings, they are the International Panel on Climate Change.

If you're not into abstracts, I would look up statistical records and graphs and see where the trend is going for yourself. Just be wary of institutions that approach climate change with a political bent, or with a conclusion already firmly in mind.