1. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

Bad, Bad Bunny Rabbit

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Evelyn, Apr 16, 2007.

(Okay, I've gotten this far and can't figure out where to go next.

This is a short story, meant as a humorous "children's story for grown-ups." I'm deliberately referencing Beatrix Potter's "Peter Rabbit," but don't mean it as a parody: more like a satire with some homage mixed in.)

Bad, Bad Bunny Rabbit

Once upon a time there was a bad, bad bunny rabbit. He never cleaned his room when his mother asked him to, and he cheated at dice. He liked to start fights in bars just for the fun of beating people up, and he almost never flossed. He made a terrible row at bath and bedtimes, and he always carried a knife in his boot. He was a bad, bad, bunny rabbit.

One day, B. B. Bunny came upon a moral dilemma. It was in the form of a carrot.

A very luscious carrot, not too big, but fresh and orangy-golden, with full round ribs and a sleek gentle taper and a lovely ferny green top.

B. B. was lurking in the hedgerow, biding his moment to claim his vegetabley prize, when he heard Farmer Johnston's voice. Farmer Johnston was very mean to B. B. and his rabbit friends, always trying to make it harder for them to raid the garden.

"Here, Bunnies! I've got a nice carrot for you, all laced up with hemlock and cyanide, in a nice tasty arsenic sauce. That'll fix you stealing my cabbages! Heh-heh-heh!" Farmer Johnston stuck his hands in his pockets and sauntered off, whistling.

B. B. dashed out and grabbed the poisoned carrot - but not with his teeth. He gripped it in his front paws and dragged it back under the hedgerow. He carefully hid the deadly carrot away so no one else would find it by accident, and went down to the brook and washed off his paws.

Then he sat down to think.

(... And that's where I'm stuck :(
    If you have any ideas about where to take this from here, I'd love to see them :)

2. Sayso

Sayso New Member

I like what you've got so far and I'm desperate to know more.

Which direction do you feel the story needs to go? Is it going to end up that BB Bunny wasn't so bad after all or is he going to end up in a pickle as always?

I think that would make a difference on what anybody else would have to offer for continuation.

You could have him washing off the carrot and sharing or have him put the carrot on the farmers plate (he didn't use too much poison after all). Or the rabbit mixed up the labels on the farmers bottles and they had a really good party on said carrot.

3. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

I guess I see B.B. as a sort of good-hearted delinquent: he likes his dice games and his bar brawls, but he doesn't really want to see anybody get *hurt* - at least, not anybody who doesn't really deserve it.
    (Farmer Johnston is really just trying to safeguard his livelihood... ...but if the next burrow over were to turn out be inhabited by Osama bin Weasel and his "Ah'll Quietya" terrorist network....)

- Evelyn

4. Sayso

Sayso New Member

Hmmm. Maybe he could give the carrot to the weasel. Taking into consideration that the farmer didn't mix his chemicals properly. :rolleyes:

And then there's Blackbird Bush dropping droppings on everyone. (no offence intended - just fun!)

5. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

LOL!!! :) :) :)

(I appreciate the consideration, but I personally don't like Bush any better than you do.)

6. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Hmm if Osama is the weasel, perhaps this farmer is an avatar of Saddam? I mean, he is already playing with chemical weaponry. :)

7. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

Have him try to put the carrot in the farmers soup or something... xD