1. youngwriter_11311311

youngwriter_11311311 New Member

Somewhere where only us who are cursed know of

What's your favorite book?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by youngwriter_11311311, Jun 14, 2008.

Here's a few questions to get you going...

What's your favorite book?

Do you have a favorite line or paragraph from that book?

If you do what is it?

Here's my answers.

My favorite book is the one I'm writing. It's called Lunar Tides.

Yes, I have a favorite line.

It is. "...when I say nothing at all I mean AT ALL. But it wasn't that awkward obviously because she kept talking. It was like I pulled the trigger of a gun and the bullet missed the target and just kept going..."

2. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Good topic, but I think it belongs in the 'Book Discussion' section.

Anyway, I'd have to say it's World War Z. Only a die hard zombie fan such as myself would say that's their favorite book from a whole world of literature. :p

3. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

My favorite book changes a lot. My favorite book of the moment is either Twilight or Pride and Prejudice...Pride and Prejudice is up at the top all the time, though :)

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yup, and it already exists there... :)

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

How about this, then?

What about this theme that keeps emerging, "What is your favorite xxxx?"

I don't have a favorite in most things. Who else feels this way? Do you just pass these threads by, gritting your teeth but saying naught? How many can answer easily, "My favorite is zzzz," and how many have favorites some of the time but not consistently?

Now the big question: How does it affect your writing?

6. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

Good one, Cog.

I've read Pride and Prejudice probably close to 20 times and I feel like I know the characters inside out. My goal with writing is to make my characters appear to readers the way I feel about them...I think (hope) Pride and Prejudice has taught me something about this.

...and how to write a darn good love story ;)

7. youngwriter_11311311

youngwriter_11311311 New Member

Somewhere where only us who are cursed know of
    Cogito I agree with you there. More or less the books that you adore how do they affect your writing? Does it make you feel like you have a goal to reach or does it discourage you and make you think you can never reach that author's level?

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Actually, what I was talking about was taking a step outward.

What I meant is, are you a person who usually, sometimes, or rarely has favorites in any given question, and how does that quality affect the way you write.

For example, I rarely have a favorite, whether it be books, music, foods, a "look" for a girlfriend, etc.

I think it's related to seeing things in nonabsolute terms. I like different books and different authors for different strengths and approaches.

The way that reflects in my writing is that I find it easy to switch viewpoints between characters. No one is purely a hero or purely a villain. It also means I don't like to wrap things up neatly at the end of a story.

That's not to say my approach is better. It's more satisfying for me, but others may prefer more definitive paths.

9. Kratos

Kratos New Member

The Lord of the Rings

...nuff said.

10. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Like Cognito, I don't have favorites in most things. Certainly not a favorite book. The only favorite things I can definitely say are my favorite pair of black pumps --the only ones that have never hurt my feet -- and my favorite perfume -- Ombre Rose.

In everything else, I see strengths and weaknesses.

11. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I'm too lazy to have favourites.

12. Rebekkamaria

Rebekkamaria New Member

I've listed Terry Pratchett as my favourite author and Men at Arms my favourite book (my profile). This doesn't really mean anything. I don't have favourites at anything. I've never had a musical taste, fashion taste, literature taste... I like all good things. I can read fairy-tales, poetry, old fiction, YA, children's books... and there's always something I love dearly.

How does this affect my writing? I can switch povs easily, too. :) But otherwise I don't really see how this is important for my writing. When I was younger I thought I was lacking something. I should have been able to feel more strongly about favourites, music, anything. I'm like this with people as well. I have to choose to love only one person. :) In my heart, I love many.

Today, I'd say my favourite book is Dark Moon. It could be The Lord of the Rings or Men at Arms or Good Omens... I could say Sinuhe, the Egyptian as well. It depends on my mood. :)

13. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I am never able to choose favourites, primarily because I feel that it goes some way to define one thing as being 'better' than another, and I'd argue with myself if I tried to do that, even though I am aware that they are just my opinions and are wholly subjective.... lol :p

I have a passion for great many things, and there are things that speak to me louder than others, but they all become part of the collective that inspires me - to call out a favourite would be to compare all of these many and varied things, when comparison is just not justifiable, to me.

I don't really know how this unwillingness to name favourites has affected the way I write. Sometimes I just see it as out and out indecisiveness, but I take inspiration from so many different things and in different ways. Actually, I find it interesting that others have mentioned this in conjunction with being able to switch POV easily, as I have a great propensity to do that.