1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Tough times for B-listers?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Wreybies, May 25, 2014.

When Stargate Universe (SG:U) was on the air, I had the biggest crush on Patrick Gilmore.

[​IMG]
    I think he's adorable. :love:

But today, I caught him in a commercial for dishwashing machine detergent. He's looking more adorbz than ever with that beard, and I was really happy to see him, but still, detergent commercial. :unsure:

And the other day I caught Eureka's Colin Ferguson as the Maytag Man. :wtf:

And there are numerous "Framily Plan" commercials with Judy Greer from The Village (and a bajillion other things. She had her rise during the era when every comedy show had a crazy red-head.)

And to top it off, Kevin Spacey, technically an A-lister, is doing eTrade commercials. o_O

cydney likes this.
  2. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I actually think this is a trend where companies are willing to shell out some more dough to get larger actors to put a familiar face to products. Apparently, its not reserved for professional athletes anymore. Which is good really; pro athletes are terrible actors... :wtf:

Colin Ferguson's MayTag commercials are quite amusing. I even caught myself thinking I might choose MayTag because of it. :eek: I love the one where he's the refrigerator! "Lazy toaster." :rofl:

Wreybies likes this.
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You know, when you put it that way, I have to wonder if it's not also a response to the DVR phenomenon that turned commercials into fast-forward-ables. You see a face you recognize, you might be less apt to immediately hit the FFW button? Maybe? :)

4. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I think the Kevin Spacey eTrade commercial isn't necessarily Kevin Spacey but a play on his character from "House of Cards."

Kristen Schaal from various television shows like "30 Rock" is in a few commercials right now too.

5. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Kevin Bacon's EE adverts are great, so I agree with Annûniel - they're just upping the actors involved.

6. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

Hundreds of thousands of pounds for a couple of days work.
    As you guys over the pond say, it's a no-brainer for huge Hollywood stars to appear in an advert, endorse a product and collect their substantial cheque for doing so.