Tags:
  1. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Band Geeks!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lyssa, Dec 28, 2008.

Alright! So do we have any instrument play, band-obsessed people in here? LOL

But if you are..

What do you play?
    How long?
    Why did you pick it?
    Whats your favorite part about it?
    What annoys you?
    If you could go back would you pick the same instrument?

Ok

I play the flute.
    For....2 and a half years now.
    I'm not sure. I said flute or clarinet. Then my dad said flute was prettier. So I started on it!
    I love the sound of it! It's so beautiful! I also like how small it is.
    I hate how it's quite. We have a LOT of flutes, but you can still hardly hear us over the drums and saxes.
    I would! I love it! And I can't imagine myself playing anything else.

I also play a LITTLE piccolo. I'm not very good, but love it anyway.

:D:D

2. jwilder

jwilder New Member

What do you play? Flute, piano
    How long? Flute - 9 years, piano - 12 years
    Why did you pick it? Flute - I was always a fan of James Galway and wanted to play just like him; Piano - no choice, Mom and Dad said so, and it stuck.
    Whats your favorite part about it? Flute - I enjoy playing the darker, more haunting pieces. The instrument has a huge range and all you ever hear are the runs and trills.
    What annoys you? The general association of ditzy airheads with flutists. (Although reflecting upon my high school band experience, I can understand why...)
    If you could go back would you pick the same instrument? Probably. I'd like to focus more on my piano as well, and I enjoyed percussion the few times I played in that section.

BTW - if you're planning on playing piccolo try to specialize in it. Pic completely ruins your aperture and destroys all good habits on the flute. If you have to switch between the two make sure to practice proper aperture and keep your lips relaxed so they don't tense up and ruin your mouth position on the flute. IMO, pic is a fine instrument but too much prestige is attached to it because it's loud and shrill, and every girl wants to play it. Completely overrated and unless you plan on specializing in it, a terrible instrument to be used as an alternative to a flute.

3. Corpsetastic

Corpsetastic Active Member

I attempt to play gitaahr and have been playing seriously since i got my second one, so about 1 and three quarter years. I picked it because guitars are pretty versatile instruments and you can try a lot of things with them. There are a lot of reasons xD and i like being creative in general and music has always been huge to me, so it was obviously great for me to get involved in being able to replicate things and try to create my own musics ^^ And i guess that is my favourite part, just creating and playing things. I would always pick the same instrument again, but i would love to learn the bass as my friend plays it and i like the atmosphere it can create. I also want to learn drums and piano too.

4. Spearnymph

Spearnymph New Member

Hear hear! I love hearing the flute played low and slow.

Ex-bandgeek
    What do you play? Oboe
    How long? It's been 5-6 years since I first played it, but I only played it for a couple of years.
    Why did you pick it? No one else in our band played it, so I thought I'd try it.
    What's your favorite part about it? I love its sound.
    What annoys you? The double reed. I had some trouble maintaining the embouchure. I just got tired so quickly! And the fragility of the reeds. I bought my reeds and it was like a gamble, getting a good reed. When there was a performance coming up, it became insane - Should I get a new reed? Would my current good reed last until the performance? I need a spare reed, and I'll need to break into my spare reed. And so forth.
    If you could go back would you pick the same instrument? I think I wouldn't join band again in the first place but I think I'd go for percussion. I think the oboe's more trouble than it's worth, and I'll be happy just listening to it. xD
    (In retrospect, perhaps not much of a geek.)

5. Kratos

Kratos New Member

What do you play? Trumpet
    How long? 6 years
    Why did you pick it? Not really sure
    Whats your favorite part about it? It's prominent in almost every band song.
    What annoys you? The incredible amount of multi-tasking required.
    If you could go back would you pick the same instrument? Yes. But I'd also try to learn either guitar or drums.

6. tikiman53

tikiman53 New Member

I play clarinet. Have been for about 4 years. I picked it because I wasn't as good at piano at my sister and I felt as if I needed to prove my worth with another instrument. My favorite part? I dunno. I like the sound of the lower register. Wooden Buffet clarinets are beautiful down there. What annoys me: sometimes it gets boring. Would I pick another instrument? Honestly, yes. I would have stuck with piano or pursued guitar or maybe trumpet.

I was in my junior high band, and I was in my high school band for my freshman year. I didn't like high school band much. Marching was extremely time consuming, and I didn't particularly enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I love music. High school band just wasn't for me. So in the summer after freshman year, I went in, told everyone I quit, and I left. And now, as a sophomore, I have a lot more free time, but I still play in a nice Wind Ensemble outside of school once a week. Of course, high school band had its perks. I had great friends in band, and I had a few good memories. I regret it sometimes, but now I have more time to focus on my tennis. What sucks, though, is I can no longer do All State or All Southern Honor band because my former band teacher refuses to sign my forms. I guess everything comes with a cost.

7. kyle777

kyle777 Member

What do you play? Trumpet, then baritone at the very end
    How long? From 6th grade up to 9th grade. After that, my teachers kept pushing me to be in marching band, which I swore never to join. I left that class with an empty heart.
    Why did you pick it? Truthfully? Because in 5th grade, I thought the trumpet would be the easiest instrument to play. Only three keys, right? God, how wrong I was!
    What's your favorite part about it? Being the main leading instrument in most of the pieces.
    What annoys you? The stupid spit valves that seemed to fill up every five seconds. And those really high notes I could never seem to get. (I pretended to play during those parts a lot.)
    If you could go back would you pick the same instrument? Probably. But I would have tried out for baritone much earlier than I did. WAY easier than the trumpet.

8. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Wow lots of people! OK...

jwilder-- Yes! I agree! We can be just as loud and scary and stuff as anyone else! Hmmm...I still am not sure what I'm gonna do, I'm still just experimenting.
    Spearnymph---Awesome! I have a friend who plays the oboe....it does look like a lot of work! But thats awesome...
    kyle777- Oooh, baritone. I've always wanted to see one of those...cool. Yea, I would NEVER be able to play trumpet....it looks hard.

9. Kratos

Kratos New Member

It is. :cool:

10. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

This picture of my studio shows about half my guitar collection. I also have a 40 channel digital recorder with built-in bass and drum machine. I feel like a monkey with his own one-man band! LOL

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I took up tenor saxophone a few years ago - right around the time of my divorce. I haven't done anything with it in quite some time. though.

12. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

The sax or the divorce? :D

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Neither. The divorce is long since complete, thank ghodz. As for the saxophone, time has been one barrier, and living in a duplex has been another. Add to that the fact that learning to play was one way of coping with the divorce, so I don't really need the reminder.

In a way, I would like to get back to playing the saxophone. It's a great way to relax and unwind. But it is pretty low on my list of priorities.

14. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    What do you play? - The Triangle.

How long? - Since birth.

Why did you pick it? - Because it's triangular.

Whats your favorite part about it? - It's triangular.

What annoys you? - It's triangular

If you could go back would you pick the same instrument? - Hell yeah!

15. Lyssa

Lyssa New Member

Awesome...you sound like one of my friends! :)

I bet. We have 4 trumpets. Only one of them is any good, and you can't hear her with the rest of them.....

16. the norse atlantic saga

the norse atlantic saga New Member

What do you play?

Guitar (bluegrass, acoustic blues, folk, punk rock, garage punk, etc). Mandolin. Harmonica, piano, and I screech out vocals/sing for the blues/bluegrass deal.

How long?

Ah....4 and a half years of guitar? Christ that went quickly! about 3 years' piano, although I don't play it often anymore. Harmonica for two years, and I just started mandolin about a month ago. I always sang.

Why did you pick it?

Well...I could never pick, actually, so i just took them all on. Just kind of took hold of whatever was around and worked at it until I could write my own legitimate songs and jam with other people without fumbling around too much.

Whats your favorite part about it?

Being able to describe a feeling with just music. Guitar is great because you can sing or play harmonica at the same time. Harmonica itself has that really sad whine that just....ahh, I can't describe it really. It hits home and being able to create it is wild, to me. songwriting feels purposeful and powerful, like a first love or an only love. for somewhat of a misanthrope, this is not something I take lightly.

What annoys you?

the calluses, the inability to find words sometimes, and the time it takes to improve. But overall + , I think.

If you could go back would you pick the same instrument?

All of them, yeah. I feel lucky to have been able to learn what I have learned, because I don't know who I'd be otherwise. Guitar was a really important part of my growing up, and the rest make my heart happy. wouldn't change it if you paid me.

17. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

LOL Ashleigh~! Best Answer Ever!

What do you play? Flute, piano off and on, if i had a bass guitar, i'd also play that
    How long? jr. high and high school, gave it up afterward for the most part. :D trying to collect bamboo flutes now though - cuz they sound waaaaay prettier!
    Why did you pick it? it was perty, and i was decent at it (we tried all the instruments in band class before choosing one...)
    Whats your favorite part about it? because my classmates were terrible, i was the best! and, it's the lowest maintenence of all. never have to buy reeds or oils or strings etc.
    What annoys you? that flute always had crappy parts in most band stuff.
    If you could go back would you pick the same instrument? possibly, had violin been available at my school, so would have chosen that... but it wasn't so, no?

18. Benska

Benska New Member

What do you play? Guitar: Fingerstyle acoustic, used to play lead electric. Piano. Bass.
    How long? Guitar in general: about 2 years. Piano: about 2 years also. Bass: about 1 year(don't like it that much)
    Why did you pick it? Acoustic: I heard Tommy Emmanual play "Angelina" on youtube... I was utterly hooked from then on. Piano: I liked the sound. Bass: Add some versatility, really.
    What's your favourite part about it? Acoustic: Beautiful harmony. Very dynamic. Many many things.
    What annoys you? My calusses keep breaking -_-.
    If you could go back, would you pick the same instrument? Fo sho' ;D. Though I would also like to learn the drums, and possibly violin.

19. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

What do you play? Guitar
    How long? 4 years
    Why did you pick it? One of my siblings got a smaller acoustic for lessons and, when the lessons ended, I picked it up and started playing around. After that, I got another guitar and started to learn just for fun.
    Whats your favorite part about it? Learning and playing along with my favorite songs.
    What annoys you? People that say they can play guitar because they can play on expert on guitar hero or whatever :)mad:).
    If you could go back would you pick the same instrument? Yes. :D