Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Banning an Owner of a Sports Team?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Lewdog, Apr 29, 2014.

Should a professional league be allowed to ban an owner for behavior that is detrimental to the reputation of their league? ie. Racism? The National Basketball League today banned the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers for LIFE from the NBA and fined him $2.5 million dollars despite the fact he has owned the team for 30 years. Thoughts?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-bans-donald-sterling-for-life--fines-him--2-5-million-for-racial-comments-181803437.html

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Yes, they should be allowed. The NBA made the right choice IMO. I'm definitely not the only person who feels this way.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I don't know the rules they are supposed to follow but I think it's a bit more than caught being a racist in an argument with your gold digging mistress called for.

His long history of racism on the other hand ... weighed against charity given to minorities ... It's hard to say.

My question is, how many of the rest of the sports team owners are also racist? I doubt he and Marge Schott were the only ones. It's mind boggling in this day and age, but at the same time, not all that surprising.

Do you suppose racism is more common among old rich white guys?

4. Lewdog

Well the oddest thing is, later this week Sterling was supposed to receive a lifetime achievement award from the NAACP. So what does that say? Did Sterling get bated by his gold digging mistress to say bad things, or is the NAACP a sell out organization that can be bought by rich white racist who are just trying to look good?

5. GingerCoffee

That's what I was referring to re the charity. The NAACP spokesperson was discussing the award on the news yesterday.

As for the recording, who knows, but obviously he wasn't hard to bait.

6. Lewdog

They just said on Headline News that Sterling admitted to the NBA Commissioner it was him on the tape. He didn't even try to fight it.

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Sterling has a history of both racist and misogynist behavior. The NBA had a chance to take him out in 2004 during a sexual harassment suit and passed. The ban does not mean he no longer owns the team or that he cannot profit from it. It means that he is not allowed to participate in any public functions involving the team or represent it at the league's board of governors. From what I understand, the league is looking for ways to force him to sell the team - that is, to force him to complete the parlay of a $12 million initial investment into a $1.9 billion holding, but without access to future earnings. Those earnings figure to be considerably diminished if his name is still attached to the team. After all, sponsors of the team are already diving off the deck, celebs no longer have a reason to want to be associated with the team, and no one will be looking to wear Clippers' gear (the NBA makes a huge amount from license sales).

Sterling probably has legal grounds to fight being forced to sell, but the NBA can probably point to the ill effects on the league if he stays. His coach already wants out, and I'm sure that many of the players do, too. Free agents will hardly want to sign to play there, so if he remains with the team, it figures to lose the competitive standing it currently enjoys. So, a lot depends on how tone-deaf Sterling is. My guess is that after the past few days, he may be ready to say no mas.

8. Lewdog

Well they are already say that Sterling can just gift his team to a family member and there is nothing the NBA can do about it. Because California is a 50/50 state, the NBA already has to deal with the fact Sterling's wife owns 50% of the team.

9. EdFromNY

That's true, @Lewdog. But, if he does that, his name is still associated with the team, and I think that will have a chilling effect on free agents going there. And Mark Jackson is calling for a fan boycott of Game #5.

10. Lewdog

So in the end this guy won't own an NBA team anymore but still be so rich he won't really care. This is a huge win for the NBA, Blacks and Hispanics, and society! Or is it?

11. GingerCoffee

He's already a very rich man. Now he'll be a rich guy that can't go to an NBA game. Ostracizing seems an apt punishment for a racist. It's not like he broke any laws.

12. EdFromNY

I don't actually see this as a win for anyone. Then again, I'm not sure anyone deserves a win.

David Stern could have taken action on Sterling 10 years ago but decided not to.
    The NAACP was ready to give him an award, knowing what he was, until this incident made it impossible for them to do so.
    Free agents like Chris Paul, Glen Davis and Jamal Crawford were willing to play for him.
    Doc Rivers was willing to coach for him.
    Sterling's wife verified for the media that Sterling had made these comments to his girlfriend. And in the sexual harassment suit 10 years ago, Sterling admitted to extensive kanoodling. But Mrs. Sterling said Sunday that the Clippers "were the most important thing to our family". Clearly.
    The extent of the players' reaction was to turn their warmup jerseys inside out (shudder).
    The media has been focusing on the racist aspect of his comments, while ignoring the fact that the gist of it all was that he felt he had the right to tell his girlfriend whom she could and could not pose for photos with.

No, sorry, don't see anyone who deserves a win.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The NBA Commissioner probably would have castrated him if it was within the power of the office. And that still would not have been too much, even though Sterling's breeding days are probably over anyway.

14. EdFromNY

I just heard on CNN that Adidas has already returned its logo to the Clippers' home court. Let's not kid ourselves - Silver's job was the cleanse the brand, period.

15. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

Sterling? Silver? You've got to be kidding.

Seriously, though, I don't know the bylaws of the NBA, but this kind of thought police pisses me off. Oh no, this guy has an opinion I disagree with; get the fucking torches. I can't fire one of my employees because I don't agree with their personal opinions.

Why isn't his team all white? Sure, he wants to win, but you think his racism would get in the way of that.

Bottom line, in my opinion, he owns the team. If his actions cause his team to be boycotted and he loses the franchise, so be it. If people still attend the games and the players still play for the team, so be it. If his actions break a contract with the NBA, so be it.

On an aside, what are the laws about being taped? I thought you had some sort of right to privacy laws.

16. GingerCoffee

Ownership rules differ with a franchise, there are always contract rules, especially where publicity is a big issue.

17. Garball

But it wouldn't be public if his mistress didn't tape him (in private, I'm sure). Can we not say what we want outside of public view? His opinions don't seem to effect the way he treated his players or Blacks.

18. Lewdog

I was practicing that satire again Ed. I must be getting good at it. ;)

19. GingerCoffee

There was some discussion of Sterling taking women in the locker room and discussing the fine bodies of those black men as they came from the showers, but I don't know the truth to that. Also, one of managers (coach?) had some issues with the "plantation" atmosphere he said existed. So this was not an isolated incident.

I don't disagree with any of your comments on the legalities of taping a private conversation. And if this were divorce court or some other legal matter, it would make a difference. It might also be grounds for him to sue the mistress.

But a franchise is going to be governed by contract law and if whatever is in the contract is within contract law, then the franchise owners can enforce it.

20. Lewdog

I have some recorded conversations of Garball discussing how much he loves animals, but I'm not going to release it so that people know what he does in his free time.

21. Garball

You completely misunderstood when I said I like coon-asses

22. Garball

Is the NAACP giving him his money back or are they accepting racist donations?

23. Lewdog

They are returning it.

24. GingerCoffee

I don't think the money ever went to the NAACP. Sterling was being honored because he'd done a lot for minority youth.

He's an example for us as writers, the bad guys are not always pure evil.

25. EdFromNY

Very true. And the good guys are not always pure goodness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.