1. PastPresentNFuture

PastPresentNFuture New Member

The future of printed literature.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PastPresentNFuture, Jul 29, 2011.

Just wondering, since technology is taking over our lives. Do you think that by 2061, there will be no literature on paper? Do you think all literature will be electronic?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Nope. Printed literature will always exist in some form or another, because there will always be people willing to pay more for it.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

They exist today, and unless there is a nazi-style book burning of almost everything ever written there will still be literature on paper in 2061.

4. PastPresentNFuture

Ic Ic, everyone knows how sought after 70 year old leather covered books are

5. Lemex

I have a book in my possession over 150 years old as it is. Imagine.

6. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Vinyl albumbs were supposed to be replaced by CDs, and they again were replaced by electronic music like mp3-players, ipods and all that. But if that was the case, how come vinyls are selling more now than they have in years? ;) It's simply that modern technology like electronic music and books are suited for convenience only, but they are missing the important part. Can you imagine walk through your own house and never see a single book or magazine anywhere? If that was me, I would think the house felt empty.

7. MRD

MRD New Member

Paperback books probably won't be as mainstream as they are today, but they will still be around. My guess is that, in fifty years time, printed literature will become more of a "special order" type of thing, with ebooks (and audiobooks) becoming the main trading point for publishers.

Then again, if I could see the future I'd buy myself a lottery ticket. Only time will tell.

8. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I certainly hope so...I love looking through peoples' bookshelves, and I love putting a new one on mine. It's a pride thing.

9. Lemex

^ I have the same thing though I always feared it was more of vanity.

10. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I think MRD is right. In the not too distant future, most people will probably have books electronically. Just like even though CDs, and now MP3s haven't displaced vinyl but become the norm. Collectors still go after vinyl, and collectors will still go after print books, but most people will buy and read in electronic form and print books will be for those who want to special order them or go to a specialty store that carries them.

11. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Feared? Nothing wrong with being vain if it's about literature, providing you aren't disapproving of other peoples' tastes. It's a personal experince. We know books are beautiful; I pity people who can't appreciate them the way we do.

1 person likes this.
  12. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I sincerely hope there's still printed books. I can't stand Kindles or Nooks or any of that.

13. PastPresentNFuture

Just wondering Gigi what are "Kindles" and "Nooks"?

14. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

They're e-readers. Kindle is from Amazon. I think Nook is from Barnes & Noble?

I have a Kindle, and absolutely love it. It wouldn't ever get me to swear off printed books though.

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Whenever I see terms like these that I don't recognize, I type them into my google search. Make that second nature, a reflex or habit. It will serve you well. You will get as much or as little of an answer as you want, and much faster than posting and waiting for a reply.

16. mugen shiyo

mugen shiyo New Member

I used to have a large bookshelf and a large collection of DVD's but I'm never not amazed by the collection I can gather in seconds by downloading them on a thumb drive. I could literally have a library in the palm of my hands. Music, Pictures, Movies, and Books in my pocket. Unless I'm not seeing it clearly, the benefits far outweigh the annoyance.

17. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Yep, e-readers, like Banzai said, and I can't stand reading off of a screen like that.

18. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I view it the same way I view my own writing. A thousand digital pages is an intangible, electronic, and uninspiring sight, appreciable only by the numbers on the screen. A thousand printed pages is exactly the opposite.

There's no denying e-readers are convenient. But in my view, there's also no denying that they have vastly less character than an actual book.