1. waitingforzion

waitingforzion Active Member

Basic Communication verses Artistic Communication

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by waitingforzion, Aug 22, 2016.

I was talking to someone a long time ago, and I mentioned modern day writing, and they told me that what is being taught today is basic communication. They said that they are preventing people from doing things like alliteration. They said that the goal of basic communication is to simply state your thoughts with clarity, coherence, organization, etc.

So is that the case? Are writers today not being artful, but simply communicating? I understand the purpose of writing is to communicate, but it that really the only purpose of writing? What if we think of a kind of writing whose purpose is to communicate in a beautiful way?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Well, there's a difference between what is being taught, in the sense of being taught to everyone in school, and what people who are writing as a profession are doing. Those writers are generally going well beyond what they've been taught.

3. OurJud

OurJud Contributing Member Contributor

Have a look at something like John Fante's Ask the Dust. He was writing in this supposed 'modern' style back in the 30s.

4. SethLoki

SethLoki Unemployed Autodidact Contributor

Excerpt, excerpt @OurJud do you mean he writes like people of today? Or he writes in what was considered in vogue in the 30s ?

5. OurJud

That he writes like people of today.

Not sure what the 'Excerpt, excerpt' means? Are you asking me to post one? If so, amazon has the book with the 'Look inside' feature. Just make sure you skip Bukowski's intro and read from chapter 1 :)

It has stuff that dates it, of course, but I'm referring to the style.

6. SethLoki

Yeah, me being lazy Jud (well conscientious), wanted you to dig me out an example—at work need to focus—blah.

7. OurJud

Your wish is my command.

-------------------------

One night I was sitting on the bed in my hotel room on Bunker Hill, down in the very middle of Los Angeles. It was an important night in my life, because I had to make a decision about the hotel. Either I paid up or I got out. that was what the note said, the note the landlady had put under my door. A great problem, deserving acute attention. I solved it by turning out the lights and going to bed.

In the morning I awoke, decided that I should do more physical exercise, and began at once. I did several bending exercises. Then I washed my teeth, tasted blood, saw pink on the toothbrush, remembered the advertisements, and decided to go out and get some coffee.

I went to the restaurant where I always went to the restaurant and I sat down on the stool before the long counter and ordered coffee. It tasted pretty much like coffee, but it wasn't worth the nickel. Sitting there I smoked a couple of cigarets, read the box scores of the American League games, scrupulously avoided the box scores of National League games, and noted with satisfaction that Joe DiMaggio was still a credit to the Italian people, because he was leading the league in batting.

8. SethLoki

Thanks @OurJud You're right. The snapshot says 'plain' to me. He likes his commas and his ands. It'd be a quick read and none too taxing and, for that, I'd give it a go.

OurJud likes this.
  9. OurJud

I love this style of writing. I find it very inspiring and encouraging, not only because of its simplicity, but because the last two paragraphs would be considered 'pointless filler' by most writing tutors, whereas I think they're beautiful.