1. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Basic idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by BillyxRansom, Jun 29, 2011.

I have a basic idea, and some sort of sketch in terms of how I want to get across my idea. But when I try to start at the beginning and really work through it, I get long-winded, and then I lose my focus.

Part of me wants to start new paragraphs/sections and just go from there.

Then there's another part of me that wants simply to write whatever phrases and sentences come to mind, in the hopes I'll be able to figure out how to piece them all together ultimately.

This is true with characters/characterization as well.

Is this a horrible idea? I have tried multiple times to plot this thing out, and I always get stuck half way through my introduction, so I'm not outlining or plotting, because it doesn't work for me.

Is this too experimental/do you think this could feasibly work? If so, what can you suggest in terms of my assuring that it does?

Thanks people.

-Billy

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

So what you're saying is that you want to just write some sentences and then fit them together like a puzzle?

"Do you have a piece with Judy shooting Colin? I need a bit with her getting recoil from the pistol."
    "I have a description of the Winchester."
    "That'll do."

Sounds like fun. C:

I personally never go in with a plan. Last night, I thought of something while I was laying in bed. I'd long since shut the computer down, so after I'd thought of it all, I tried to type it into my phone, then gave up, turned the lappy on and typed it all up. It was just completely unrelated stuff to anything else I've been writing.

So unless you're doing something completely illogical, I say go for it. (Also, a better description of what you're doing would not go astray. Just saying.)

3. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Post-apocalypse. In part it's a fantasy that employs a goal and a hero trying to get to that goal, but mostly it involves him talking to a ton of people and basically, essentially trying to survive.

4. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I don't think it's impossible to write what comes into your mind and piece it together at the end. Maybe that's the writing style that fits you best.

5. Spring Gem

Spring Gem New Member

You may be an organic (no outline) and non linear (write scenes out of order) writer. Write your first draft in anyway that helps you get the story down. You can use words and phrases as placeholders for scenes you're not sure how to write yet; things can be out of order; insert notes about some research you need to do, etc. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone but you. If it works for you, then it's okay. You can rearrange, add or delete scenes until you have everything in the order that you want it. Oh, be sure to keep a copy of each version in case you want to compare or go back to another version.

Hope this helps.

6. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

On another hand, maybe if you have a particular scene or point in the story in mind, this would be a good writing exercise. Just put it all down on paper and worry about the excess later.