1. CiaDavis

CiaDavis New Member

How would you begin?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by CiaDavis, Jun 29, 2011.

So I am pretty sure I have writer's block. I have a plot, awesome characters and all that stuff, but I just can't get the beginning written! I'm having the most terrible time with it.

The basic gist of the setting is an alternative modern world, set here on Earth. Supernatural creatures exist 'out of the closet' so to speak. More specifically, it takes place in the PNW.

The story is a young woman of Native American descent discovers that she is a Shaman, who has the power to shift into her totem animals, as well as have control over them. Her power comes out when she meets the Alpha of the werewolves in the Northwest. The vampire Family in the city she lives in tries to recruit her so they can, by extension, control the local lycanthrope population, so now she is stuck between the two races, one of which is trying to kill her and the other that is trying to control her.

How in the world would you start that? i have tried several times to start when she meets the Alpha, but for some reason it just isn't working. I've been stuck for a couple of months on it. :confused:

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Start by writing a scene, any scene, preferably using your main character. It need not evben be a scene that will remain in the final manuscript. In fact, there's a good chance it won't.

But it will get things rolling.

3. demonmr98

demonmr98 New Member

Where does she meet this Alpha? Perhaps she goes along with a hunting group of the Native Americans and it starts with them stalking the wolf, until things turn for the worse. Or maybe you could start way before the main character with her father confronting the Alpha Wolf with the baby main character in his arms.

4. CiaDavis

CiaDavis New Member

I've teried the scene idea and it helps a lot, but then I still get stuck on the beginning =/

She meets the Alpha when he is meeting on neutral ground with the Patron of the vampire Family to discuss a tentative peace treaty. A few years back, the Alpha's little sister killed a vampire in the Family, and the vampires responded by killing his sister, and then a war broke out between the two species. So now, the Alpha has decided to be smart and try to end the war.

The MC (Morgan, the Shaman) is only half Native American and doesn't know who her father is, so she doesn't really identify with anything Native American--but she will obviously be forced to when her powers 'wake up'. I wanted to start the story there, when her powers start (the same time she meets the Alpha), but it just isn't clicking for me for some reason.

5. andeee

andeee New Member

It seems you have the idea that the novel will build in excitement and a lot of things will happen later on.

So, the question is how do you start this climb from nowhere?

Maybe you shouldn't.

I would start somewhere exciting to begin with. That way, it's engaging for the reader and you will be able to get the most important parts of the story written down. Maybe you can introduce some questions for the reader or cross paths with the antagonist(s).

You'll probably end up tweaking, re-arranging, and experimenting a lot.

Best of luck. :)

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Why worry about the beginning? Start in the middle. There's no rule that says that you have to write in order.

7. Possibly Awesome Writer

Possibly Awesome Writer New Member

You don't even have to start with the werewolves and vampires at all.

Just start out with the MC being normal, suddenly discovering her powers accidentally and then getting into trouble from there. Starting out with a normal day and then going super-natural could reinforce that she is special and what the new powers mean to her personally.

This could also leave room for a learning curve and even extra drama later on in the book.