1. online.education

online.education New Member

Basic writing question ...

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by online.education, Aug 2, 2007.

I have a very basic writing question. When your write a fiction, how do you write it? Is there any specific format you need to follow or there is a basic guideline at least? For example, when you write an essay, you following something like this:
    But is there any how-to-write-a-fiction guideline like this or ... it's totally up to you???

2. Dan Rhodenizer

Dan Rhodenizer New Member

I don't think there's a proper format, it's up to you. But what you say in your first sentence should have some kind of connection with the rest of the paragraph. Just write is my best advice, or keep searching around here to learn more about writing, or even try google. :)

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what do you mean by 'a fiction'?... a short story?... a novel?...

i don't recommend how-tos for learning how to write creatively [other than for screenwriting, where it's a must]... the best way to learn how to write fiction is to read lots of the work of the most respected writers of the kind of writing you want to do... see how they do it...

4. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

No there is absolutely no guideline or format for fiction writing other than the basic tenants of writing. The rest is up to you. You can say what you want, how you want. The difference is that fiction readers are a little more fickle than your essay readers.

5. mammamaia

i'm sure you meant to type 'tenets' koz... but i like the freudian slip!... refers to one's characters nicely... ;-)

6. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

Fiction is writing something that is completely made up and has (almost) no rules. You just need a basic structure for the plot and proper English. The characters are basically your imaginary friends. ;)

Are you asking the basic structure of writing, like paragraphs or sentences? Or is it more detailed, such as first/second/third person, when to end a chapter, how to create an excellent plot (see Plot Creations on the forum for more help), etc.?

I can answer to the best of my ability if you will narrow down your questions. For now, here are a few good websites for beginning writers:

Fiction Factor - Writing Tips for Fiction Writers
    Writing.Com: Writers, Writing, Poetry, Creative Writing, Fiction Writing, Poetry Contests, Writing Contests
    Writing Tips, Tutorials: Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, plays...
    Fiction writing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask questions! :)

7. mammamaia

mypen... don't know about others, but your teeny-tiny lavender font is near-impossible for my aged eyes to read [even with my glasses on]... can you forego 'delicately pretty' for 'legible'?... pretty please?

love and hugs, maia

8. online.education

online.education New Member

Well, here's the reason why I asked this question. I've been showing my short stories to my friend. He tells me that the core message isn't very clearly conveyed in any of my stories. So, I'm wondering if I should add something like introduction and conclusion until I get to the point which I can just write and articulate my ideas without employing a specific format ...

9. Neo

Neo Member

Funny thing is about fiction is that there are a myriad different theories about how to write fiction. Structures and layouts are ten a penny. Choose what you feel cumfortable with.

10. mypensmysoul

mypensmysoul New Member

I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but here I am now.

While adding an introduction and conclusion are basic necessities in any piece of writing, it's probably not the intro or conclusion that needs to be fixed, it seems like the plot is unclear.

What I would do in this situation is this: Leave your stories alone for several days, maybe a week, and look at it with fresh eyes. Then be honest with yourself. Is the message conveyed? If the answer is no, then is the time for revision.

Make sure that your scenes are killer --every scene needs a purpse.-- Don't write just to write. That's overrated; write to get a point across.

Perhaps the reason your plot isn't getting through is an alternative plotline. Do you have a second plot, such as love or w/e? If so, abandon that completely until you get the hang of making your first plot clear.

I cant tell you all to much in this situation because I obviously havent read the work in question. If you want to post it in the short stories forum, go ahead and let me know and maybe I can answer it more clearly after reading the story.

--Mammamia, I changed the font, I hope that helps, but I just cant part from my pretty color. ;) Black Comic Sans is just so...boring. :)

11. mammamaia

???... all writing certainly does not need to have an 'introduction' so i don't know what you can mean by that...

as for the font, the size is now a little bit bigger, though still needs to be the next size up, for older eyes like mine... but that lavender is still too close to the background color to be read easily... can't you at least deepen the hue, to make a better contrast?...

12. Gottagocit

Gottagocit Member

Hello board. I hope you don't find this question or others I may come up with to be too basic for the board.

A couple years ago I got an idea for a book that I just couldn't let go of and even though I had no real experience writing I decided to give it a shot. Since then it's been an on again off again project but I've enjoyed it tremendously. I was very near the end of the story back in the summer and got busy on a job related porjected and had to put it down.

On a trip last fall I realized I needed to answer a most basic question about writing and have finally gotten around to finding a forum where I felt I could ask it and get good advice.

Here goes. The characters in my story travel to a couple areas where well know landmarks exists which I"ve used in the story. They'd compare to the Seattle Needle and a private owned building. The landmarks are important to the story given the specific location the story is related to. Can I use the actual names of the places in the book without written permission from the structures owners?

Thanks,
    Chris

13. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Yes you can.

And don't worry, it's the type of question that these forums are for. Just don't ask any questions like "I have this awesome idea, (insert description), should I write it or not" or "I've got this awesome MC all figured out, but feed me a plot." Some people post stuff like that, glad to see you don't. :D

Now, if we're talking about songs, you need permission...places, no you don't (unless it's a random person's house or something)

Welcome to the forums!

14. Gottagocit

Gottagocit Member

Thanks Mallory for the quick reply. I promise not to ask the board for help coming up with a plot or story....lol. That sounds like something that someone should be able to come up with if they are thinking about writing. Maybe I'm strange but the high level story or plot was easy. I've struggled a bit with details like keeping the reader interested in the characters I introduce by trying to give them details like facial features and such. Dialogue is sometimes a strain also as I try to explain what I'm wanting the reader to extract from the words and where it's taking the story. I'm getting there though and will try to finish the first writing and begin the cleanup (I call it) with editing and making sure the entire thing flows. Hopefully I'll get that done in the coming weeks and begin the long process of trying to get it published. I'll come up with many questions between now and then I'm sure. Thanks again! Chris

15. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

No problem! And asking about plot-related stuff is okay if you have a specific plot hole or something, but not for simple verification or feeding of basic ideas. People will jump on your throat if you do, but aside from that this forum is VERY nice. And very addicting. :)

16. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Mallory has answered your question.

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum, and good luck with the writing.

What's your story about? :)

17. Jaybrownuk

Jaybrownuk New Member

Welcome to the boards. I too would like to hear a little more about your project. :)

18. Gottagocit

Gottagocit Member

Re: Newbie question

My story is about one civil war mission to use the spoils of war to finance Lincoln's war against the south and how the bounty of the secret work is lost to history. Over a century later the mission is discovered and a trail of clues heats up the search for what may remain lost to time.

I have around 350 pages on paper and just need to complete the final climatic ending. You know the line....I have that in my head bust just need to write it down and get to the editing.