1. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

~ and {}

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by colorthemap, Jan 1, 2011.

A simple question what they used for in English outside of programming and math of course.

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I've always wondered myself... especially about ~

3. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

I how {} is used in programming(I will save you all the talk but if you program you should know about it) and for domain and range in math.

Could {} be used when you need parenthesis inside []?

~ is also used in programming, no clue for math.

Is the ~ some sort of hyphen?

4. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Hmm..for me
    when people say "Hello~"
    It translates to me as it's meant to sound like 'Helloooooo'
    but I have a feeling that's not it's proper use.

5. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

I've never seen or heard of either being used in English, outside of the math/programming definitions.

I mean, you could always write a sentence saying something is ~8 and people might understand, but it's not a punctuation symbol, so much as a math one.

And technically in manuscript formatting, when people use ~ to indicate scene breaks, they're using it incorrectly, but shrug.

6. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I've never heard this theory. I thought online it was used sometimes just to be 'cute', I always see people (girls) signing their names surrounded by ~~

Now that I think of it, some people in class used to use it as an indicator of approximation. They'd say ~10 to mean 'approx 10' or 'give or take 10'.

Anyone know if that is acually correct?

7. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Well lets be logical.

The typewriter did not have such items:

The modern keyboard is tailored for computers(i.e basically a massive math machine) BUT it is also made for a certain regions language (Take English) it would not make sense to create a specific key for a machine. In the begging of computers the keyboard did not even exist. So I'd gather it has some purpose or it would have no use in a computer(no one would know how to use it.

BUT it may be possible as the "{}" is used in most if not all modern^ programming languages / scripting languages(other then html). This may be for the sake of ease of use, but it may have been modernly designed to tailor this purpose.

However the "{}" is as previously stated used in math to describe "domain" and "range" thus making it not an un-heard of.

The "~" on the other hand is never practically used. (to my knowledge) EVEN in programming it is an advanced thing to use.

IN OTHER WORDS: I have no clue.

*: From c++ on, they have had a use in containing the contents of:
    -methods
    -functions
    -if/else/else if statements
    -loops
    -Classes
    -[Ignore this if you don't program]

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i only use the ~ to separate the parts of a letterhead, if it fits the font i'm using...

and i never use { }

9. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Maybe it has no use alas.

Could it be (...[...{...}...]...): I doubt it.

10. DukeRustfield

DukeRustfield New Member

Tilde (~) is often used to mean about or approximately. You can see that in everything from engineering to cooking. ~3 tablespoons.

It's also used by programs and programmers a lot when parsing text, simply because it almost never exists in English but is available readily on a keyboard. I.e., a .csv file means "comma separated values," but that is dangerous because commas are all over the place in English. So you'll see it used as a sperarator behind-the-scenes a lot. It's one character, a simple ascii value, and merely requires a shift on a keyboard.

Curly brackets exist in computer programming quite frequently, as for regular English, I've used them on mostly joke occassions to have parentheticals inside parenthesis. Like the same with using quotes.

-He was a bright blue Floggermagger (a type of Dwibbernsap [which is a type of Popperbash {which is a rock}]).

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've been an avid cook all my life [well, since around 9, anyway] and have had and consulted many thousands of cookbooks and recipes by now, but have never seen this symbol used as you've shown, duke... could be a regional thing?

12. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Really you weren't born with a cook book?

What ever I guess we will never know for sure.

13. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don't use "~" in my writing, but I've seen it used to mean "approximately," and that's how I use it in my own hand-written notes.

14. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

According to Wikipedia: