2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Birds Of Prey (Ashley Scott)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Batman Begins (Christian Bale)

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  8. Batman The Animated Series (Kevin Conrad)

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  9. Batman Beyond The Animated Series (Kevin Conrad)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Raven

Raven Banned

Batman

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, May 3, 2008.

Ok we getting closer to the extremely anticipated new Batman Movie. The Dark Knight.

I'm personally a very big fan of Batman and I have been since I can remember.

I used to love watching the corny TV series with Adam West and his amazing deduction of crime fight with the classic Ka-Boom strikes at the baddies.

So as you can imagine back in 1989 I was very please to learn that Batman was hitting the big screen. but because of the violence contained in the movie the BBFC (British Board Of Film Classification) didn't want to issue the film with a PG so it was the first movie to hit the UK on a 12 certificate.
    [​IMG]

I loved this film I love the way Michael Keaton portrayed himself as the Billionaire Bruce Wayne turned Batman. And I thought Jack Nicholson was superb as the Joker. The film for me was brilliant and I soon had to own it.

Since then Keaton followed through with the much anticipated sequel Batman Returns. Brilliant film in an individual sense but lacked the vigour of the first 1989 smash.

But alas it was Keaton’s final Batman sequel.

Next Val Kilmer takes on the black cape and armour of the hero.

Now Val did a good job at playing batman and the introduction of Chris O’Donnell as Robin was the re-birth of Batman and Robin. But the film lacked that Dark edge Keaton brought under the direction of Tim Burton.

Joel Schumacher lightened up the hero giving him a more tamely theme.

And Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones did play good Villain. But sadly like pantomime villains.

Then we had the major flop Batman and Robin. Ouch it lacked what the 60s series Adam west brought. It was bad. Good budget bad acting George Clooney all but killed the Batman Movie Franchise.
    I was horrified to see Arnie schwarzenegger as Mr Freeze and Urma Thurman was appalling as Poison Ivy as was Alicia Silverstone as God dare I say it. BatGirl.

And thus Batman would have to be Re-Born.

While the film flopped.
    A Spin off one season tv series was Born. Birds Of Prey.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the summer of 2002, viewing audiences were teased by images of a seductive and feline woman prowling the dark alleys of a crime-riddled city of grime and dinginess. Accompanied by text offering the woman as the daughter of two legends, wondering what would have happened if the crimefighter and the criminal shared a secret? These commercials were the beginning taste of what would become a popular cult show in the fall on The WB - Birds of Prey. In the dark and dangerous world of New Gotham City, three women come together to discover their destiny, united by justice and their bond as friends and a make-shift family. Fans fell in love with the trials and tribulations that Oracle, Huntress and Dinah faced together and watched religiously until late November, at which point the network announced that the show was going to be cancelled. Doomed to a dark future, even the most valiant efforts by fans have proven unable to resurrect the series...

And then came the next sequel.
    Batman is Re-Born
    Batman Begins
    [​IMG]
    And so it was with Chris Nolen at the directors seat. Christian Bale became the latest Actor to Don the cape.

The film was what all those fans wanted. Dark and gritty. Just how Batman should be.
    Batman Begins was brilliant the writers take us back to the birth of Batman straight to his training and his first outings how he made his armoured suits Car and gadgets.
    I loved this film I loved everything about and added it to my collection.

And Now we have The Dark Knight. From what I've seen of the trailers and the making of the movie I can see this is going to be one of this years biggest block Busters. The film sees the return of the original actors from Batman Begins and then adds the Late Heath Ledger as the Psycho Joker. And from what I've seen He's certainly the right actor for the part.

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Raven, you seem to have forgoteen the option, of "batman is crap" in your poll :p

3. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Batman is my favorite superhero, merely because he's just a human that does amazing things. Sure, he's infinitely 29, and rich, but it's still cool to think about all the great things he does. He's just a rich boy with problems. It's amazing :D I'm really looking forward to the new movie. My brother and I are going to go camp out at the Edwards :D

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

How come you're not on the list, Raven? :p

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

For me it was a close decision between Batman Begins and the Keaton/Nicholson movie. The darker, grittier feel of Batman Begins tipped the balance for me, but Nicholson was a brilliant Joker.

But Batman Returns was also very good. Danny DeVito was gruesomely sinister as the Penguin, and Michelle Pfeiffer was fatally luscious as Catwoman; much as I like Halle Berry, her portrayal of Catwoman made me embarassed, on her behalf, to watch.

As for the Adam West series, I could rarely sit through a half hour episode, it was so appallingly bad.

6. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Oh I loved the original...it was so dark and Nicholson carried off the Joker so well, I thought. The cast seemed to just vibe well and it all worked beautifully! I agree with you Cogito...it is a close call between The Original and Batman Begins.

1 person likes this.
  7. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I'll be watching the new Batman purely out of intrigue - I'm quite fascinated by the reputed performance of Heath Ledger, and I've been a bit of a fan of his since 'Two Hands'.

Batman has always been a bit of a non-event for me. I did quite like the original series - Adam West is a hoot - but my childhood superhero was Monkey Magic.
    :)

8. Raven

Raven Banned

I also loved the Batman Cartoon and the Cartoon movies. And Batman Beyond was brilliant. the artwork really worked keeping that dark theme. But Batman Beyond Return of the joker was a brillant cartoon movie proberly the best from the cartoon movies.

9. AwfulBigAdventure

AwfulBigAdventure New Member

Where Batman The Animated Series on the list?! It's was a multi-emmy award winning cartoon and it's not on the list! And what it did for Batman canon and the rogue gallery...new spins on some of my fav characters Two-Face, the Riddler, Mr. Freeze plus... Mark Hamill as the joker. And they invented Harley F-ing Quinn.

That's my write in vote.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mr Sci Fi

Mr Sci Fi New Member

Nicholson was a brilliant Nicholson.

From the trailors I've seen on "The Dark Knight," I announce Heath Ledger's performance as the greatest reincarnation of The Joker ever.

11. Raven

Raven Banned

Id have to agree with you full heartedly there.

12. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I liked Batman and Robin. Poison Ivy was cool and ice man was cool.
    I like this movie because it was the only one I could watch. I was to young for the others. My dad loves Batman and would sit me down and make me watch the other movies.
    I fell asleep on them, but that was because I was to young to understand. But because of that I don't like Batman.

My favorite super hero is Spiderman. I like him better.

13. Raven

Raven Banned

Spidy is kool

But I'm a Batman fan through and through. ;)

14. Mr Sci Fi

Mr Sci Fi New Member

You like Batman and Robin, yet you fell asleep during the other movies?

Wow. Just... Wow.

15. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

You like the superheroes who wear their underwear over their tight panty hose.

Spiderman is awesome to me. Maybeb because I can appeal to Spiderman better. Because he is like you and me (except with powers) while Batman is some billionare (that isn't you or me) who saves the world.

16. Mr Sci Fi

Mr Sci Fi New Member

You obviously get your impression of Batman from Adam West. I'd recommend watching "Batman Begins," as Nolan and Bale do the character justice.

But Batman is more HUMAN than Spidey. Batman has layers. Peter Parker is just a pansy. And those movies are awful.

17. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

The original Spiderman in the comics had layers. He wasn't just a Pansy. I think he was a brilliant piece of art from Steve Dikto.
    I have always enjoyed Steve Ditkos work. I read the comics because my dad has them. My dad was a comic book buff.
    But they are in Greek isn't that funny.
    Spiderman in Greek.
    Okay maybe it wasn't that funny.

I don't like Batman. He doesn't appeal to me at all. But I did enjoy Batman and Robin movie.

18. Mr Sci Fi

Mr Sci Fi New Member

I meant layers to his personality and psyche, not art-wise.

19. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I know what you meant. And that is what I meant to.
    I just say it in different words.
    That is why everyone misunderstands me.
    Art work to me means personality, the look and feel, the feeling I get.
    This is an amazing piece of art. I enjoy Ditko's art means I enjoy the character, I get the personality, I get the feel and looks of the character.
    It means everything you meant.

20. Cogito

Ahnuhld as Mister Freeze vaz zimply owlfuhl.

21. Rickie writes

Rickie writes New Member

Has anyone ever seen Adam West as Batmen? My age is showing. :D

22. Raven

Raven Banned

No your not the only one. I too remember saturday mornings and the good old corny Batman with Adam west. lol

My fave though is proberly the 1989 Micheal Keaton. with a close second on the 2005 Batman begins.

23. Cogito

Adam West's voice is frequently used in the recent cartoon series The Batman. He also has a permanent role in Family Guy.

24. Raven

Raven Banned

I also liked Batman Beyond. Batman in the future. It somehow had that still dark edgyness to it.

25. AwfulBigAdventure

AwfulBigAdventure New Member

I like Batman Begins, but I just feel like in this direction, he isn't the guy I know. I mean, I can't see Christain Bale sitting in a bat cave with a giant Penny... ever. And I like the cheese and I like the penny. Ya know?