1. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

Battle anyone?

Discussion in 'Word games' started by sweetchaos, May 1, 2009.

I wasn't sure where you put this, but I figured this would be the best spot.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to have writing battles. A writing prompt and a time limit is chosen and two (or more) members go head to head. The participants in each battle may choose the rules of their particular battle (ie, who wins, duration, prompt, etc).

It would be a great way to get yourself writing without editing, as well as keep yourself writing daily if you found a challenger.

:D

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

haha sounds kinda fun, especially if you're kinda forced to write outside what you normally would....bring it on, punks!

3. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

Welcome to fight writer
    The first rule of fight writer is no one talks about fight writer...
    Sorry daydreaming.

Maybe someone (lets be cinematic call them the fight master) could post a topic, or a word, or an image, you have to write something on that topic (word limit or not? thoughts anyone). The fight master cannot compete. A (set time period) after topic post the fight master ends the "fight".

Everyone gets to vote on the best piece of writing over the next 24 hours. A new fight master posts another topic.

Thoughts?

4. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

It sounds perfect. I hadn't put much thought into the rules, I was mostly just going off a random idea. If everyone else is for it, I'm in.

I think there'd have to be a word limit of some sort, whether it changes each 'fight' or not.

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

It should be one on one I think, just like that other club that involves fighting which we shall henceforth not mention ever again to anyone. Winner keeps fighting til some one takes him out or he resigns, loser gets to decide next prompt, the other members of our ultra exclusive club get to vote.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are practical difficulties to this that I can forsee. Basically, you are trying to manage a [periodic] writing competition like our site writing competitions, but in a single thread. You will only be able to vote via additional posts. You will have to be clear about time limits, taking into account the various time zoines. You will have to take into account the disappearance of participants at inopportune times, including the current challenge master.

I like the idea pof challenging people to write to themes, but I think a looser rule structure, and less emphasis on winners/losers, will be more successful here. Otherwise I believe this will grind to a halt within days.

7. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

I hadn't intended it to actually have rules to tell you the truth. I was more thinking just a place for people to come to in order to find challengers and have fun on there own time.

"I challenge you to 1000 wds in 30 minutes. Your piece must include a dog, a banana, and the president." For instance. I wouldn't even have expected there to be a winner. It would be more of an exercise in writing that gets your mind out of editor mode. How can you decide a winner from that anyway. lol

-shrugs- As I has stated before, it would depend on the challengers involved. -shrugs- I just really liked the idea that others put forth. It would be fun, but I see where you're coming from, Cog.