1. Faithch

Faithch New Member

Really hard time with this

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Faithch, Nov 22, 2008.

Okay, I have my characters all set up, and I love them, and I know what I want to happen...up until a plot! My story is an inspirational novel about music, so I'd prefer to keep romance out of the problems. My issue could be that my story is a first person perspective, but the perspective switches between four girls (this is NOTHING like the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants...at least I hope not) So should my conflict be Man vs. Man, Man vs. Self, or Man vs. Nature?

2. Emerald

Emerald New Member

You're thinking too broadly. If you've started with your characters, and love them so, base the story off of them.

I don't know your characters, but I imagine if they're half-way decent they'll be flawed in some way. And most good stories revolve around characters addressing and overcoming their flaws. So all you've got to do is come up with a couple of scenarios which involve that.

3. de la vega

de la vega New Member

I agree entirely. Plot should come from the characters, not from any monomyth or standard of conflict; these things (such as man v. man, etc) develop on their own. They're analytical concepts rather than writing concepts. Good luck!

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

stop agoinizing over conflict genesis and just come up with a story that strangers will want to read!

5. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Weren't you one of the ones supporting the vague, useless categorisation of conflicts a couple weeks ago...?

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

for my part, I like to use both internal and external conflict, particularly if they pull the MC in different directions.

But the heck with categorizing them. When your characters have goals, conflicts or obstacles to make attaining those goals more difficult should become obvious.

7. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I'd go for the "make it up as you go along" appraoch. The right conflict will present itself.

8. mammamaia

no, emerald, i was not... and wouldn't, though i do sometimes list the 3 basic ones when the topic arises, i don't 'support' them in any way, 'cause that would make no sense, as they simply 'exist'... so i don't know what gave you that idea... unless you're just trying too hard to find something to diss me over, if that gives you some pleasure...

9. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Haha, it doesn't take much trying, y'know.

It just seemed like if you're going to the effort of listing them out for people, you believe that vague, useless categorisation is somewhat useful. Otherwise, why bother mentioning it?

10. browneyes106

browneyes106 New Member

I'm sort of struggling with the story I'm work on. I have character descriptions and stuff written out. But it's hard developing the plot.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Keep it civil...

12. mammamaia

why?... how about because it was the subject being discussed?...

and the 'useful' aspect of just knowing that there are only 3 [or however many you prefer] variations on the basic plot of all fiction is up to the individual...

but why are you so determined to try to ridicule me on this silly thing, anyway?... what have i ever done to harm you, that you seem so driven to be insulting?

13. El902

El902 New Member

Because insulting people is fun? Or because retaliating on those insults is even... funner :) Or more so, because civility is simply boring. I'd go with all three, but your problem with developing plot deserves much more attention.

I am currently a victim of the same conundrum. I have a few leading characters, supporting characters, a basic history of these characters and quite a few plots have been running amok in my mind. However my muse is being an arse, sitting there being all-powerful and eating bon bons instead of feeding me brilliance.

No matter my present situation, I can usually just start writing. It usually works for me but not this time. Any how, just sit, put pencil to paper - or fingers to key board - and write. Ask yourself this question: What is my character doing RIGHT NOW. Then write it. Is s/he sitting at her desk at work? Sitting under a tree in the middle of no-where-park pondering life's mysteries? Usually, these pointless scenes will lead to much less pointless conflicts and herein lies your plot. Good luck.

El