?

When should the hidden passage be revealed?

Poll closed Dec 3, 2008.
  1. Before the heist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. As it occurs

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. After the crooks are long gone with the goodies

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sylvester

Sylvester New Member

Divulging the twist.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sylvester, Nov 26, 2008.

When you read/write a novel, when do you prefere the little twist that changes the story be revealed.

For example, thieves are planning on stealing something. Our heroes have the place surrounded so they don't have a chance. There however is a hidden passage that the crooks use to steal the goods

When should the passage be revealed?

2. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

I vote after the crooks have gone, but it probably depends on the scene. This is a tense dream, and the reader will be more on the edge of their seat. It's the perfect time to pull one on them, IMO.
    Nate

3. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

I would put the twist where ever I feel it would be most effective.

In this example, it's probably a point of view thing. If you're writing from the Heroes' point of view, then it should be revealed after since they are on the outside and all, but if it's omniscent, then maybe during.

4. Emerald

Emerald New Member

I'm saying during.
    "Oh ****, they're escaping" is always more interesting than "Huh. They got away. Nuts."

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Whenever it best serves the story. But more often than not, I find that delaying certain exposition until you absolutely have to have it will create the most suspense. It's not knowing things that often keep us interested.

6. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

I like the idea of putting the twist after they are on the beach, but I think this might make for a more complicated story line. The author would have to find a way to reveal the twist in a way that would fit with the story that has come and gone.

7. Fidget

Fidget New Member

I would imagine that any of those could work depending on how it is written.

Personally, I prefer such twists to be revealed afterwards. One of the reasons I enjoy Agatha Christie's work is because the twist is revealed after. For me, it is fun to think back to the story unfolding and see how the twist ever so subtly revealed itself. As previously said, I would agree it is the more complicated of the three to work out.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

From the context you describe, the story is from the POV of one or more of the police, or a consultant they have brought in. Therefore, the time to reveal how the thieves escaped should be when the police discover the escape tunnel.

If it were written from the thieves' POV, the tunnel would be revealed during the planning stages - unless the thief who is your POV character was not told about the escape tunnel in advance (the mastermind doesn't let any of his team know a detail before they NEED to know).

You should NEVER spring that kind of detail late if your POV character knew it well in advance. That would be considered cheating the reader, pulling a fast one.

9. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Cheating readers....

Hey Cog..isn't that what M Night Shamalan does to us all now? LOL! :D

10. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

*cough*
    Or as a helpful alternative,

____ burst into the cave and made a 360 degree turn, expecting a fight to the death. But no one was there. Unfazed, he proceeded to advance deeper into the bowls of the cave complex in search of his foe. After a tense half an hour, though, all he found was the end of the tunnel. To his dismay, all that was left of the thieves was a speck on the horizon, rapidly disappearing altogether.

That was fun to write :D and yes, I know I wrote it as if only one hero was present.
    Nate

11. ManicParroT

ManicParroT New Member

Which would be why his movies FAIL EPICALLY.

Honestly, Signs was such a load of crud.

12. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I like the idea of the reader finding out afterwards. I just feel like the idea that the reader things that the robbers are busted but then find out they escaped contributres to the suspense. If your aiming for suspense, mystery, and to suprise the reader, than this is probably the way to go, at least in my opinion.

13. Sylvester

Sylvester New Member

Dual POV

Actually, my script uses both POV's

We know Jessica and Co. is plotting to kidnap Phoenix Force and many of the details of how, including the plan to subdue them with cotton soaked in an "anesthetic."

ESP meanwhile will alert the kids to the plot, including the use of the drugged cotton. They in turn will come up with a plan to discover who is responsible.

It'll look like the heiress is falling into the hero's trap. Phoenix Force however will be the ones caught in it.