1. The Backward OX

The Backward OX New Member

Outback Queensland, Australia, far from the maddin

Help needed with a scene.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by The Backward OX, Jun 15, 2009.

I have hit a brick wall with my novel, and need help.

You will earn my gratitude if you can pin this down; I'm wondering if you can write a synopsis of the scene described below in blue.

Take as many or as few words as you wish.

Here’s the background:

1. A young attractive woman wants to scam money out of numerous older men in a big city.

2. She decides that in order to raise this money, she will pretend to be a hooker (although the act itself will never take place).

3. To set up the actual sting (where she will be assisted by a male accomplice), she needs to very subtly promote/advertise herself to highly-placed public officials at their place of employment; that is, promote herself as being available for sex in return for money.

She has already figured a way to identify her potential victims. That isn’t the problem. The problem is bringing herself to their attention at their place of work.

You don’t need to concern yourself with how the sting works. I’ve got that covered; for those familiar with it, it’s a variation on The Honey Trap.

What I can’t find the words for is the part in blue above.

Any ideas? All I need is an example of how it might happen in just one encounter. The multiples will then be easy.

(If you have to give the woman a name, call her Bubbles or Stinky or anything you like)

2. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

So, let me get this straight.

You know what you want to happen.

You know who does it and why.

You presumably know what comes next.

All you need us to tell you is how she does it.

Let me explain something- the how is everything in a novel. You can read the most pathetically cliche'd book in history, and if the how is awesome, the what doesn't matter. You can read the most beautifully unique plot in history, and if the how sucks, it doesn't matter that the what is awesome.

You've been around a bit. Surely you know that we won't write something for you. Especially if you put it as "a synopsis" where we can "as many or as few words as [we] wish." That just sounds like asking us to do the hard yards. Which is what you are meant to do.

If you're in a trouble spot, you can count on us to check the result and tell you what you should have done, what small changes you should have made. But don't ask us to write it for you.

3. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

Quoted for truth.

4. Maroon

Maroon Active Member

No problem!

And all I'll charge is a very reasonable 15% of all and any future royalties. :p

C'mon. B-Gas said it.

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

He's not asking us to write it for him.....just research prostitution for him....which might not be much better :S

But yeah, sounds like research is what you need to do...somehow....try reading newspaper reports or other stories about prostitution, see what seems to be the norm, and work that into your story....

I probably would'nt advise first-hand research though :p

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

There was a special on one of the major cable channels last week about high-priced prostitutes. It detailed how they make contact, how they "advertise" their services and all the steps they take to ensure safety, confidentiality, police avoidance and secure payment. I don't recall the name of the feature but I'm sure you can find it through Google. It may even be downloadable from the primary network.

7. R.C._KITCHENS

R.C._KITCHENS New Member

I dont mind helping out, you dont have to research anything unless
    its is neccesary. all you have to do is have a working imagination.
    I just thought this up on the fly, I liked it, maybe it can help you
    spark something, or you can even use it to build on.
    make writing a story that tells itself to you.

why not mock her up as a struggling reporter, coming in to speak with high officials and slipping them her card while giving them a favorable look. High officials call her because they are like everyone else, curiously sex-driven. being with a reporter would almost be like fornicating with the enemy. On the card the rates could be given as so they wouldnt need to discuss price over the phone. The Male Accomplice could actually work for one of the high officials and be noticed, and a hit is taken out on his life.

Hey, someone has to get the reporters foot in the door.

8. The Backward OX

The Backward OX New Member

Outback Queensland, Australia, far from the maddin
    That's exactly the type of help I need and I thank you for that particular idea. I like it. Correction: maybe not the part about the accomplice; that won't fit. But the reporter bit is great!