Tags:
  1. U.G. Ridley

U.G. Ridley I'm a wizard, Hagrid

Be easy on me now!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by U.G. Ridley, Jun 21, 2016.

I've been looking around at some different forums for creative writing, and have so far found two that interested me, including this one. That other site also had a new member introduction section, so I'll just copy paste what I wrote there here;)

Hey, guys! New kid here. Quite litteraly, since I'm only 18 and extremely new to the writing world. I've been writing since I was about sixteen, if you ignore all the stuff I wrote for assignments during middle-school. I was encouraged by a teacher of mine, who is also a published author, to pursue writing, and have sort of become addicted to it ever since. Or, I suppose it's the story-telling part that I'm mostly addicted to. I'm still testing the waters in terms of writing, and boy am I struggling. This business sure isn't the easiest, but I honestly can't see myself ever doing anything else.

So, in my pursuit to become a better writer, I decided it was time to become a part of some forum or other to put some of my stuff out there to be critiqued. This is the first place I found, and I like what I see so far. I already managed to break a rule on the Shredder forum, (too many words), that's what happens when you are too eager I guess. I'm sure a lot of you can relate to where I am in my writing "career" right now, and I hope you have some good lessons for me that you've picked up over the years. I sincerely hope to become welcome member of this community, and hope you will all accept me.

Some other random facts if anyone happens to be curious: I am from Norway, but I was pretty much raised by stories from all sorts of media due to lack of friends as a result of middle-school bullying, so I've never been very in-tune with Norwegian culture, and I'm planning to move to America next year. And since I am Norwegian, I'm sure you can guess that U.G. Ridley isn't my real name. I've dabbled with many names over the past few years since my real name is pretty hard to pronounce in English, and U.G. Ridley was just sort of a name I landed on cause I thought it fit the whole "author alias" thing. U stands for Ulrik (to keep some of that Norwegian flair), and G stands for Greenhill, which is the English word for my real last name, which I wanted to have in there for the sake of keeping some of my origin. As for Ridley... meh, I just thought it sounded cool.

Anyway, I realize I've written way too much at this point. So, thanks for having me!

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hej U.G. Ridley and welcome to WF!

Writing can definitely be addictive! Before you notice, it's 4am, but damn is it fun to just lose yourself into the world you've created. :)

Anyway, lovely to have other Scandinavians here as well, even if you're planning to emigrate to the US. :)
    Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. See you around!

-Kat