1. KaitysDad

KaitysDad Member

Beer drinking, life of the party to dancing with a diaper on my head

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KaitysDad, Feb 13, 2015.

Hello everyone I am a 44 year old Stay @ Home Dad. Just a little over 6 years ago I went from a beer drinking, life of the party, gambling, kitchen & bathroom remolding contractor to dancing and singing nursery rhymes with a diaper on my head to our new born daughter.

For the last year or more I have wanted to write about something, anything, I don’t care… (I do have some ideas in my small head) With that being said I have been practicing by boring the hell out of people with much longer emails, longer stories on Facebook and text messages. Till finally the other day when I told a story on FB about a recent event that happened someone replied back with “by the way, you are in excellent writer”.

Well you know what that did to my mind. So here I am and now I can’t think of a damn thing to write. So I thought by joining this forum it would make me more creative, lol.

Nicoel, kfmiller and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)

Here's our New Member Guide to get you started. I sure hope we'll be able to give you some ideas. :) You might want to start with asking yourself, what do I want to say? Or think about the types of books you liked, and what could've been done better, and then write the book you want to read. :D

Have fun!

-Kat

KaitysDad likes this.
  3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.

KaitysDad likes this.
  4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hopefully it's an unused diaper...

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I detect a contradiction here.

Welcome to the forum.

KaitysDad likes this.
  6. KaitysDad

KaitysDad Member

Thank You for the replies and comments. I have been out doing some Metal Detecting along with some Crystal and Gem hunting these last few days, I have been doing some research on a new area and came across a well hidden mining hole (Pictures attached) that from all my research seems that it was created in the late 1800's or around the turn of the century. I seem to always find some great areas and I do help others locate new places where ever they might live here in the states. I use a lot of free online mapping tools to locate these places.

So while I was out hunting I get a lot of time to think about things and it hit me that I should try and write a "How To" eBook about finding new locations in any zip code for Treasure Hunting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boger likes this.
  7. Boger

Boger Senior Member

I would buy. And buy some more as gifts.

KaitysDad likes this.
  8. KaitysDad

KaitysDad Member

Well Thank You Boger, I was just trying to wake up and think about what I might want to do today and after reading your motivating comment, I think I will dust off my keyboard, make a stronger pot of coffee and get this idea out of my head and on to my computer screen.

Thank You for the kick start…

9. KaitysDad

KaitysDad Member

I looked first and did not see any threads about this so I decided to ask here. If this is not the right spot, I am sorry. If someone would let me know where to post this I will gladly and quickly move it.

After I mentioned the other day that I now knew my topic and I was going to start writing it, well it’s done 6000+ words.

I already knew of a program that is called Calibre. This seems to be really user friendly for converting my word doc into just about any format for an eBook.

But I noticed that when I am looking over my newly converted eBook (Doesn't matter which format) the pages never seem to flow nicely. For example, when one chapter is finished the next chapter could start in the very bottom of the page or the middle etc… To me I would think it would look and feel better when the next chapter would start on a new page. Or a paragraph could split from the bottom of a page and finished up on the next page etc…

Being new to all this, am I just being anal about this or not? I know other eBooks I have read they all seem to flow much smoother that what I am seeing for mine. I have even tried to go back to my word doc and adjust my spacing there, no luck it still converts poorly.

So I was wondering if there was any advice or thoughts from others about this and any suggestions that might help a new person out.

Thank You in Advance for any help with this.