Begging Sci-fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by DrWhozit, Dec 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Basically write whatever you want. Make your own rules or break the rules. Do whatever that suits you.

2. Dracan6

Dracan6 Member

Ah! Good to know. . . My first drafts look a lot like that as well. So, I feel ya there. :D

3. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Don't mean to turn this into a rant but as much as Sci-Fi is my favorite genre, I am disappointed with it at the same time. I consume Sci-Fi mainly through film rather than books but I do admire written sci-fi literature all the time no doubt. I'm just more a visual storyteller. But you know, I just can't trust Hollywood anymore when it comes to the genre. Sci-Fi has become a plot device for CGI explosions and actions. The current sci-fi movies don't need to explain everything scientifically but I have seen some lately that really don't care about the plot, characters, themes or setting at all.

My biggest problem in the genre despite what medium it comes out of is that the world-building isn't so creative these days. I've seen many sci-fi movies with big ideas and interesting concepts but the people, the people depicted in the story feel like early 21st century people. Has there been any thought in what new cultures might rise in the future, fashion, social norms, hell even through in some weird slang into the lexicon. I probably get annoyed by this because I really enjoy sci-fi that's mainly about space or planet colonization. When I view that, I think of the colonization of the Americas. You look at the colonists then and see what they are now. Very different people and very different cultures developed over the centuries. I think when we colonize other planets in the future, the colonists will change culturally over time. But most sci-fi doesn't get into much detail. (In literature probably yes, but movies, hell no).

Look, it's hard predicting how humans will look and act like in the future, but I wish sci-fi writers would throw in more creativity regarding that. I always love the human condition more than the science itself in Science fiction.

Other than that, I'm getting tired of the adolescent dystopian genre (Hunger Games, Maze Runner).

4. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

Hollywood is bloody awful at SF. Elysium made me want to tear my hair out. Shoulder mounted missiles that can accelerate into space, track and destroy a spaceship. Exoskeleton that is attached by drilling through the flesh and bones (without anesthesia). Clothing that looks the same as today. Space station with no fixed defences to protect it or patrol craft, and so on.

5. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

People's thought process isn't evolving that fast. If you look at history, we haven't come that far.

6. Bryan Romer

That's exactly the problem. Society and technology changes ever faster, but our wetware and apps are still very old. We are forced to behave differently even though it clashes with our basic psychology. But language, customs, and even body language do change and will be very different in the future. Look how people constantly look down at their smartphones and talk into thin air.

7. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Well that's a good point. Why would people still act like modern people in the future?

In Star Trek, the people are different. They live in a utopia society on Earth and live around advance technology unlike our own. Plus they share cultures with aliens and interbreed. They also view their past as a barbaric culture since they used to have crime and war. The federation is all about developing peace and coexisting across the galaxy.

Colonies do develop their own culture unless they are under control by Earth. If America didn't win the revolutionary war, we will all remain as tea drinking British.

Plus it also depends how far the future is.

8. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

You would not believe how dissappointed I am with Elysium. I loved the movie for what it was and it was really enjoyable, but as a great sci-fiction film? Nah. I really liked the director (that made District 9) but Elysium just wasn't what I thought.

I'm not gonna bother telling you how underdeveloped all the characters were but the world-building was the weakest point of the film. It's the year 2154 and looks like nothing has changed from the 2000's-2010's except for advanced robots, some weapons, exo-suits oh and Elysium. Other than that, everyone was using the same old early 21st century technology, wearing the same old clothes we're wearing today. The politics of the movie probably got in the way for more development on the world-building, plot and characters.

9. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Because the people who still wears that old fashion stuff are poor. And the rich like to wear classic clothing.

Still the setting is interesting, but I agree some of the characters are low. The main character is flawed and weak as hell. What's the point of putting on an exo-suit if he will still get his ass kick? I expected his suit will give him super human strength.

10. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

I actually liked that the main character wasn't invincible with the exo-suit. The problem is how the suit is installed on a human body. Who would want some USB hub jacked into their brain with all that surgery?

11. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Weird, I thought this by you:

Was pointing at that idea.

My MC becomes a cyborg, but he still does it the old fashioned way: tablet PC type data pad, he issues voice commands rather than plugs in, etc. Still, he's much faster and more precise than any non-augmented human. He doesn't want to plug in. He wants his autonomy to remain intact, especially since the US he comes from is what everyone is saying today: heavy propaganda to sway the masses, govts spying on its citizens, etc.

12. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Yeah the exo-suit kind of sucks. Plus the character can easily get shot by bullets. Distinct 9 is better.

13. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

14. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

You know, the Chinese have actually been drinking tea for thousands of years, we have only had it since the 17th century and people outside of the uk seem to think we are all infatuated with tea...which is a load of bull. Americans stop drinking tea after the tax and the fact that they considered drinking tea as unpatriotic o_O

Anyway, as far as hollywood is concerned i doubt they'll have any decent sci fi movies coming out any time soon, i think thats the problem with catering to the masses rather than the genre. They'd rather catch the action, sci fi, comedy, cgi nuts and fanboys in one fell swoop, that kinda dilutes each respective aspect of the film. Maybe indie films are they way to go.

15. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

To Hollywood, sci-fi is all about action and special effects. Nobody gives a crap about character development. People only want to relax and enjoy the cgi crap. Only true artists can make better movies.

What do you think people might become in the distant future and what new cultures they might establish on different alien planets, which isn't like the Halo universe.

And that link is a load of crap. If the actors are time travelers, they would know. Maybe they are reincarnated people.

16. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Yes but indie movies lack a bigger budget. I know good sci-fi can be told with a minimum budget but I also want to see a big-budget film that cares about the plot and characters. And not tradiationally an hour and a half long.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  17. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

If only the masses care about good story, then maybe Hollywood might cater to that. We're probably being too hard on Hollywood for crap films when it's really the consumers that want that stuff. Hollywood is just trying to make money, that's all. But at the same time, I wish most films that come out of the studios are made with passion rather than greed.

18. Bryan Romer

The more developed the story, the narrower the audience. Sometimes sheer spectacle can overcome this like LOTR.

But in smaller scale, more focused stories, the less generalised the story, the greater the risk that the studios feel that they are taking. Of course many of us think they go too far in the other direction, but when it is your money and job on the line, risk is a bad word.

Perhaps one day we can make kickstarter financed films. Let the audience put their money where their mouth is. You want a particular kind of film, pay up front. It won't pay for blockbusters, but Chris Roberts and Cloud Imperium has raised over $35 million via kickstarter for a PC game and the money is still coming in. They do it in the construction industry too. Pay that cinema ticket now and wait for the film to be made. As an investor you will have a say in the direction it takes.

19. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

I guess there aren't a lot of people who enjoy science fiction movies. They only care about special effects, the sex scenes, or flat out dumb situations for the sake of entertainment. And Hollywood puts that crap first for those dumbass people. Face it, there's too many of those people out there who don't care about good story and art.

20. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

I think the perfect sci-fi movie would have the best of both worlds. Visually appealing for casual audiences with engaging storyline for people that want a good plot. But like I said earlier, those ones tend to be expensive and sort of risky to make.

MilesTro likes this.
  21. Bryan Romer

Unless it was very lucky and skilfully made, or it was based upon a book or some other entertainment property that had a huge built in fan base, it would be attacked by the action fans as having too many boring and incomprehensible dialogue scenes which slowed down the pace of the action, and be attacked by the art critics for using CGI to pander to the lowest common denominator, spoiling the artistic vision of the film.

22. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Another thing I am sick of is military science fiction. Every book I see at the library and book store looks like a story about space traveling battle ships fighting in space battles. What's the deal with that?

23. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Hopefully, mine will be a first to break that idea.

24. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

1. Easy action.
    2. Conflicts between worlds. IOW, politics taken to the inter-system level.
    3. Showcasing SFX.

25. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Who cares. We got plenty of that cliché'!