1. jellytots

jellytots New Member

Beginner to Writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by jellytots, Mar 1, 2015.

Hi everyone I'm very new to this site and would like to say hello and ask for a little advice.
    I absolutely love reading and would love to be able to write a novel or short stories. Its an ambition of mine. I just don't know how to go about it or where to start. Is it just a case of putting pen to paper and as they say just starting. Sit down and start...
    I'm looking for advice on how to get started, courses I should do if any, websites to look at for advice or check in to regularly. Anything really? Just advice from people with more experience than me.
    Should I be writing down all my ideas all the time, any where that's good for ideas, research I should be doing?
    Thank you..
    Jellytots..

2. Sundowner

Sundowner Member

Yeah it kind of is as simple as just start writing. It won't necessarily be good at first, but the more you write, and the more ideas you get about writing from things you read, the better you'll get. You sound like you're worrying about it a little. Just relax and let the words flow. Writing is something we humans do naturally, like walking and talking. Nobody can teach it to you, and you only get better as you go.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi, @jellytots, and welcome to the forum! Please check out our New Member Quick Start Guide - it'll get you going around here.

As to your questions, well, all that is what this forum is for. Your questions have been discussed endlessly here. Just read through any threads with titles that interest you and I'm sure you'll find our members' best thinking on the subject. It's impossible to summarize it all in one post here. One thing to remember, though, is that there is no one answer that applies to all writers; different writers have different ways of doing things. Learning to write is a kind of exploration of yourself, to find out what your concerns are and what works for you. I hope this forum helps you do that.

Participate and have fun! :)

4. jellytots

jellytots New Member

Thanks for that, very good points...

5. jellytots

jellytots New Member

The forum looks great..I had no idea about it only I saw a post from a writer on FB saying she found the writing forums brilliant. I'll look back over the different threads..thank you

minstrel likes this.
  6. Siena

Siena Active Member

Just follow a convention - if you get good at that, you'll find you get good at a lot of other things too:

The convention is:

Take your characters on a journey where they change.