1. bbjoey521

bbjoey521 New Member

Beginner writing, Help?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by bbjoey521, Feb 4, 2011.

I don't even know if I'm good enough to call myself a beginner write, because the only reason I came here onto writing forums was because I'm having trouble with the English subject in high school, and most of it is writing essays and stuff, I really suck at writing, and I came here to look for some help or guides on how to start writing better.
    Is there any kinds of guides around here for a beginner writer(or lower) to follow?

Thanks in advance!

2. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

The best thing is to always write like you mean it. Specifically, when posting in forums for fun, blogging, or whatever, always proof read and review before you submit.

From your paragraph, it seems like you can organize your idea to make a point, and are not at a loss for words. But you made grammatical mistakes and (assuming English is your native language) a typo. Would you have found them yourself had you reviewed it first, or is that what you need help learning?

3. bbjoey521

bbjoey521 New Member

Is my false grammar error the first sentence when I should have typed "writer" instead of "write", that was only a spelling error, if there's something else please tell me where I made a mistake.
    I know what I'm doing when for example if I'm writing threads on forums, because I know what to write for these topics, but the topics I get from school is something I can't even make anything out of, right now I'm supposed to write a 10 sentenced paragraph about one area in my house, using concrete writing, like for a bear I can say scary black bear, but for things in my house, I just can't find myself writing 10 sentences about it, even if I could I'd like to use better words, that sounds more intelligent, since my teacher doesn't allow simple word uses like " good ", we'd have to use another word that means the same thing, and since this counts for my mark, I'm looking around to see if there's any writing tutorials.
    One last question, is there such a thing that when you look up a word, you can find a word that means the same thing? Sorry for my bad knowledge about writing, I hope you guys can help me with it.

4. evelon

evelon Active Member

Well you'd be hard pressed to write ten sentences like that one! You need to get a handle on your sentence structure and punctuation. And yet, your last sentence is ok.

And as for writing ten sentences about a room in you house - you've got to harness your imagination. Use all your senses. Choose the most interesting.

There's the decor, family room, quiet room, pictures on the wall, carpet or tiles on the floor, big windows overlooking garden, small windows overlooking street. Thin walls so you can hear the neighbours arguing. You don't like the colour, you hate the fact that its to crowded, too sparse. If's warm, it's cold.

Ten sentences isn't much to write.

Thesaurus is what you need for synonyms.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

start by READING... you should be a constant reader of the best works by the best writers of all time, plus the best contemporary ones in the genres you want to write...

that's really the only way anyone can learn how to write... if you have decent grammar skills, you'll learn all there is to know, by just studying how the best writers do it...

6. lost123

lost123 Senior Member

Read about the subject. Google it online and you will find many stuff. In your case search and read about bears. You will have a good idea about them and you will become more creative. These are information about bears:

I was hiding in the closet but surprisingly the bear was soon upon me. I couldn't do nothing but an idea popped up, I stopped breathing and pretended to be dead. .................................

7. Islander

Islander Contributing Member Contributor

Apart from sentence structure, I don't think your writing is bad. You string a lot of sentences together with commas. If you learnt when to use full stops, I think a large part of your problem would be gone.

Words which mean (roughly) the same are called synonyms, and they can be found in a thesaurus. They can also be found in an ordinary dictionary, like <http://dictionary.reference.com> or <http://en.wiktionary.org>.
    In Microsoft Word, you place the cursor on a word and hit Shift+F7 to get synonyms. In OpenOffice.org, you use Ctrl+F7 instead. (if I remember correctly)

8. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

I don't know what you mean by "or lower".

Your later post is showing your ascendancy: You are running everything together! Sometimes you do it correctly with the proper conjunctions and/or punctuation. Other times you just smashed two sentences together. Correct or not, you are running on. STOP after each subject/verb part.

9. Spacer

Spacer Active Member

1The smallest area in the house is known as the "inner sanctum". 2Including the front door to the house, you must pass through four doors to reach it, making it the most "inner" place indeed. 3Each door reaches a more private area. 4As you close the doors behind you, you close off more and more of the world until you reach the most private place for your most private business. 5Within the small space is the porcelain throne, and only just enough room to contain it.

6The inner sanctum is cold, as they tend to be. 7I think it is a combination of being on the outside wall, and the plumbing. 8But I have a secret weapon against the cold: 9the throne seat itself is heated! 10With very little electricity, it gets to the bottom of matters, so to speak.