1. achaley

achaley New Member

plot flow woes

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by achaley, Aug 15, 2011.

hello i am achaley i am having a bit of a problem you see in my story where magic has been rediscovered during the Victorian era there is a jack the ripper type character is on the loose and my characters have too stop him
    but the main plot twist is that one of the main protagonists is the ripper but im having some writers block you see im at the first murder scene and i cant think of what to do next you see i know where i need to get to as far as plot but getting there is my problem

2. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

How about watching a bunch of CSI episodes and researching the body mechanisms affected by the cutting of the skin and organs. How would your characters react with each cut or stab? Is your murderer a quick killer or does he/she torture them before the final blow? Watch the quartering of Braveheart. Hear the sounds made as each instrument pierces the skin. What does it smell like in the room? Is it dark or bright? Does the one who is dying cry? Scream? Are thy silent in their agony?

Just a few ideas to get your juices flowing in this first scene.

3. achaley

achaley New Member

no i got the scene the problem is what chain of events leads from this murder scene to the final twist at the end is where im drawing a blank

4. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Hmmm....since I don't know your final twist (and not that I'm itching to steal that from you either), I'm not sure I know how to help. Given, I'm new at this writing thing as well so maybe some of the other more seasoned writers can help you.

5. achaley

achaley New Member

hmm well any insight would be helpful for instance when you map out a story and got stuck on a certain part what do you do

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

You could skip past the murder itself and go to the discovery of the murder, the notification of the family, and so on. That will give you a stronger feel for how the murder will affect subsequent events, and maybe that will give you some inspiration for the details of the murder. Or if it doesn't, at least you're writing and not stalled.

ChickenFreak

7. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Right now? I'm researching. I figure the more I understand the era I've placed my story in, the better I'll at least be able to describe things. There's also character development. (I spent an entire 2 days choosing names for my main characters). I've been talking with my husband who's a psychologist and having him help me understand why my characters might make the decisions that they make that become integral turning points in my tale. So perhaps delve into the motives behind choices of your main characters? And if it gets too bad, take a break. Walk away and come back to it later.

8. achaley

achaley New Member

you know that really helpful i never considered looking at my characters motivations behind hwat is going on thank you very much ill try it out

9. Leah

Leah Member

I have sometimes written the juicy bits (murder/twist at the end) and then combined them in the middle.

Maybe not the best way to write, but helped me when I got stuck. Sometimes I got new inspirations along the way .. good luck :)