1. residuetiger

residuetiger New Member

Beginning

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by residuetiger, Jan 12, 2012.

Hello all, this is my first post and I'm glad I found this site.

I always seem to have trouble beginning a story. I've been 'working' on a new short story for weeks now and all I have is a potential opening paragraph. I can't seem to find the groove of the story so I sit at my desk and stare at that damnable blinking cursor. Waiting for the flow to hit me, just sitting there, always causes me horrible anxiety and I usually can't sit for very long before I have to get up and go do something else.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, what do you do about it. I've thought maybe I should step back from the story and read some other work but then I feel like that's a cop out. Am I mess or what?

Anyway thanks for any forthcoming advice.

res

2. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe Senior Member

I get that same feeling after completing a sentence let alone starting a story.

Sometimes, I just throw my hands up in the air (saying HEY-OH!) and just start writing different sections that I feel more confident in writing. I know that sounds kind of bad but at least I'm still writing something. Try jumping into a part of the story that you feel more comfortable with and building from there but do so with caution. It might cause a bit of confusion down the road but at least you've got something down. I only did that maybe one or two times in my first novel and ended up having to revise the hell out of it later but it helped me develop the building blocks for a very important subplot.

I guess you could call that a happy accident.

3. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

I get that feeling too.
    As a temporary fix, what I do is describe the opening scene. What's happening, what the character is doing, etc. And then I'll go back and spruce it up a bit; make it a little more descriptive and/or meaningful.

On a side note, I get images of the scenes in my mind, so if you do too (I assume most, if not all get them) just describe what you see - you'll notice the image expands as you observe.

4. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

write something anyway, even though you already know it's not the right way to start. When you realize what's wrong with it (after finishing the entire first draft and reading it through) you'll have a better idea what would be right. Or you start somewhere else than at the beginning, like the second or third chapter and write the beginning later.

5. Granville

Granville Member

Take a prominent element from your concept and google it. I often find something that inspires me or gives me ideas for developing a concept that my head is swimming in circles with.

6. joanna

joanna Active Member

I wrote down some notes on what was going to happen in the beginning: the characters, what they'd be doing, the setting, etc. I went to the place where my story started and sat and thought for a while.

Then I wrote several drafts for openings. They all gave me an idea of what I didn't want to do. Then I wrote the real story.

7. residuetiger

residuetiger New Member

Thanks all for your replies.

I tried jumping into a scene that was particularly strong in my mind and have written a bit of it. I hope that will break the stalemate I've been in. Also, it's good to know that other people have the same problems.

res