Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Augusto

Augusto Senior Member

Being a writer and atheism

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Augusto, Oct 2, 2015.

I've been wondering, is the vast majority of writers formed by esceptics/atheists? If so, why would that be? Please vote and let's find out!

2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

I think you'll find that there are several religious people on this forum -- and several atheists. I'm not voting in your poll because there's no answer I feel comfortable choosing. But I'm a pagan. And I personally believe in all gods. (Yes, all.)

I actually started writing because I wanted to write pagan inspired pieces. So many people write "Wiccan" influenced stories, yet the writer doesn't know the first thing about Wicca. It's my biggest gripe. If you're going to write about a religion, get your facts straight. My first WIP was actually heavily influenced by my spirituality. I've since abandoned it, but I have two new short stories planned that are also based on my spirituality. I've run the idea by fellow believers, and they are excited to read them someday because they are exactly the same things they believe. Who know if I'll ever finish it or if it'll ever get published. But it feels good to put my beliefs in words and have the images come together.

Since you're fairly new here, I'm going to warn you -- a fight is coming. It may not be in page one or even page two. But eventually, a war between atheists and religious folks is going to break out, and it won't be pretty. Though I can guess (based on your poll answers) what side you'll be on.

Having said that -- I'm promptly unfollowing this thread because I don't want to be any part of the drama. :)

3. Augusto

Augusto Senior Member

There is nothing to discuss, really. Are there more theist or are there more atheist?

I've noticed a lot of famous writers are atheists and I kinda suspect is something most writers have in common. So Christians should be a minority. Nothing to discuss there, nothing to be ashamed of.

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You might have worded your poll options with a tad less judgement.
    How have you measured/surveyed the religious beliefs of 'most' authors? And what is the religiosity of the population as a whole that you are using to compare it to? Authors may just reflect the beliefs of the population they come from, so perhaps more atheists in the UK and more theists in the US?

5. Augusto

Augusto Senior Member

Perhaps... I'm just proposing a poll.

6. GingerCoffee

If you can still edit the poll consider changing the options to
    theist
    atheist
    agnostic
    other​
    That would be a tad more neutral.

Also, you might not want to make the choices publicly visible.

No-Name Slob likes this.
  7. Augusto

Augusto Senior Member

There is theist, atheist and agnostic in the poll options. I am not aware that there were "other" options worth considering.

8. GingerCoffee

Did you not notice that, "I'm not a kid anymore" insulted theists?

9. Augusto

Augusto Senior Member

I don't really care. Religion is an insult to atheists by itself and we're not complaining like babies. Doesn't the bible call us "fools"? Doesn't it says me, my wife and my son are going to hell for not believing in their God? Doesn't attack homosexuals?

Are you implying that religion aims at not being confrontational and living in peace with everyone else? Perhaps you should check history. I don't think the poll is offensive, no. I think pretty much all atheists think religious ideas are child stories, therefore I am doing nothing but reflecting atheists overall approach. Should atheists shut up in order for theists to feel better about themselves?

I don't even want to talk about child abuse and all the disease religion represents. It's a poll for people to vote and that's about it. If you don't like it, don't vote.

10. GingerCoffee

:pop:

ADreamer and Void like this.
  11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

My guess is most writers are theists, going just on the odds (based on how many people self-identify as theists of some kind).

12. Augusto

Augusto Senior Member

Yeap, the poll was pure formality. ;)

13. Lea`Brooks

This is why I didn't want to get involved. I could tell by your poll (and the fact that you even brought up the question) that you're an atheist, and I've rarely met an atheist who is polite to theists.

My only advice to you -- just because others are rude doesn't mean you have to be too. Not every Christian in the world is out there molesting children and telling atheists they're going to hell. So condemning every theist and insulting them all because of a few bad eggs just makes you look ridiculous. You're doing exactly what you're mad at them for doing. It's hypocritical and childish. If you want to be accepted, you have to learn acceptance yourself. People are different. They believe in different things. It's the way of the world. Get over it.

The point of this poll wasn't to learn anything about the writing community. It's very clear your only objective was to find other atheists to band with and theists to insult. It's a troll post, and it's despicable.

ManOrAstroMan and Lemex like this.
  14. Steerpike

Not all atheists are rude to theists. The insecure ones are, and the same goes in reverse. I don't have any religious beliefs, but I have no problem getting along with those who do.

ManOrAstroMan and No-Name Slob like this.
  15. Augusto

Augusto Senior Member

I wasn't being rude but it pisses me off when I ask a question and I get "be careful", "beware, you're gonna be attacked for asking a question" and "don't you think you could have asked it more nicely?"

So that's why I reacted and now I am being called an unsecure troll. This is ridiculous!

Truth is, religiosity has been (scientifically) asociated with ignorance and with being less intelligent; and it is currently being studied as a phenomena deeply related to mental illnesses. Do a quick google and find out. Then tell me why I would feel unsecure about ignorant and potentially mentally ill people?

So... if there is a troll here, I don't think it's me.

16. Steerpike

QED

Lemex likes this.
  17. GingerCoffee

There are several possibilities for this perception than the one you suggest.

Maybe you don't know enough atheists.
    Maybe you only remember the atheists who were rude.
    Maybe you weren't the nicest person first.

18. Augusto

Augusto Senior Member

Theists take a rude any comment or possition that is not in line with their beliefs.

19. GingerCoffee

I doubt "insecure" explains much atheists' rude behavior. It's more realistic to consider an entire range of motivations can be found underlying rude behavior from falsely assuming a person who disagrees with you is rude to someone having an unrelated bad day.

20. Steerpike

I'm sure there are other reasons, but people I've encountered personally seem to get more irate the more threatened they feel by the other viewpoint. It's like they don't cope well with the opposing view being out there.

21. Lea`Brooks

First of all, I never said you were going to be attacked for asking a question. I said a war was going to start between atheists and theists. It's a common trend on this forum. Religious discussions are very polarizing, and it lights fires, as you can see. I was warning you that these discussions often steer away from the original question and take on a mind of their own.

Second of all, you COULD have put it more politely. If it bothers you that someone calls you rude, then don't be rude. If you want respect from strangers, you have to earn it. And insulting the many theists on this forum by calling them children is not the way to do that.

Third of all, if religious folks are being studied for having a mental illness, do you really think it's polite to insult them? Would you call an autistic child retarded? Would you call someone with bipolar disorder crazy? I doubt you would. So if you truly believe theists are mentally ill, insulting them probably isn't the best route.

I have no problem with people who believe differently than I do. I'm pagan. I doubt anyone out there is truly in line with my beliefs. I'm happy to accept everyone's differences of opinions. But as I've said to others here, you can state your opinion without being rude. You were rude. And I obviously am not the only one who thinks so.

22. GingerCoffee

Didn't you just say:

outsider likes this.
  23. GingerCoffee

That's an assumption on your part about the other person. And knowing that you've more than once falsely assumed things about me and my underlying motives that were untrue, I'd suggest you consider reevaluating your skills reading people.

24. Lea`Brooks

Rule #1:

Don't take the bait.

25. GingerCoffee

So either
    You didn't mean it.
    You meant it but for secondary gain rather than on its face value.
    You aren't able to let a fight with atheists go.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.