Tags:
  1. Sulla

Sulla Member

Being Creative

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Sulla, Jul 29, 2012.

Sometimes I struggle with being creative, as does probably everyone else.

What are some things that you do to help you stay creative?

My first response is usually to do automatic writing in the style of the surrealists. I just sit down and write whatever comes to me. Sometimes I cover the screen so I don't try to edit myself.

I found this to be effective in coming up with some interesting ideas, phrases and whatnot. It's not perfect though.

Another method that I try is the cut-up. I buy cheap books and cut the page in four equal sections. I do this repeatedly and with different books. I then randomly put four parts back together again. Admittingly this sounds quite stupid. It helps to establish some ideas though. The chance element throws out the rational mind for a good amount of time. I don't copy the new configuration that the new page makes, but I do use it for character, scene and tone.

When you are feeling stuck or feeling un-creative what do you do to spice it up?

2. Fluffywolf

Fluffywolf Member

Everyone's creativity often comes from the cognitive functions they use themselves.

Some people see patterns and relations in the smallest of things because they use extroverted intuition. Others may find a lot of creativity in memories with strong use of introverted sensing.

Anyway, long story short, there are many different ways to tap into your creativity and the methods to do so can differ from person to person. Some need to go out and experience the world, others need to find solitude and introspect.

So ask yourself, where does most of your creativity come from? What moments did you find you were exceptionally creative and what were the circumstances of your life at that time. Try to recreate those circumstances (if they were positive :p ).

My creativity comes from experiencing new things. Reading new books, watching new tv shows, experiencing new life experiences.

For me, there are times I've been nostalgic and reread a book or just did things I already done before. that's when I personally lose my creativity. Nostalgia can be nice to wind me down, but it won't help my creativity one bit. :p

3. Saul-hudson

Saul-hudson New Member

One of the way I help myself to stay in the zone as it were is to write down three or four words (tree, castle, mouse, boat) and write them on a Post-it and stick it to my monitor before setting about writing a short story (roughly 1000 words or less) using only those words three things to make up the story. Grab a dictionary or find a word generator online and give it a go ... may not work for you, but it helps me keep my muse from turning stale.

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Sometimes I get out of my comfort zone - if I haven't been to the beach in ages - I go there sit down and start to write , observations, feelings - it helps when you cut loose and do something childish - like wade , bring a bucket and make a sandcastle , or hunt for sea glass or pretty rocks or even attempt a cartwheel.

Try something new - a new food dish , a new outfit , a new hobby. Or something old - buy a box of crayons and color , let your inner child loose with a
    can of play-doh. Go somewhere unique - a museum , an art gallery , a butterfly conservatory , a carnival.
    Engage in conversations with new people - especially ask people their opinion on things - this really gets them talking!

Jot everything down - you'll never know what will come in handy.

5. MeganHeld

MeganHeld Senior Member

I honestly do something completely different. I read a book, I knit, play a game. Anything where I don't have to be creative. It helps relax my mind so that ideas can pop up whenever. I don't think I have moments where I don't exactly feel uncreative. I more or less have writers block vs. creative loss. Each person is different.