Being Grounded/Punishements

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Corgz

Corgz New Member

once, my brother drew on a wall, (he was about 11 or 12) and he blamed me, and i argued that i didn't do it (i was about 8 or 9) and finally, we were sen t to our rooms and my parents told us that the one telling the truth could stay up and watch some TV. In the end they decided it was me because i was the younger, inferior one. That made me lose all trust in my parents and siblings, in fact, i do not trust anyone anymore... A few years later my brother admitted it.

2. Cacian

Cacian Banned

It used to be that way for me but it was the other way around.
    because I was older then my sister my mother always believed her and not me.
    So you see there is no justice or understand of what works for who to blame or believe.
    It is an entirely personal experience.
    Your parents are not to blame because that is what they were taught themselves.
    Make sure however you tell your parents how you felt otherwise they will never know or learn.:)

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I guess no one would be.
    Drunk is not always a best way of showing yourself to the world and especially those around you.
    Being drunk is a scary thought to those watching. It can be quite daunting to wacth people drunk because often drunkeness leads to violence.

4. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

I wasn't the drunk one (unless you count a 2-litre bottle of coke), they were. It was more the 2am thing that my parents didn't approve of :p

5. yagr

yagr Senior Member

As long as you mean coca-cola, I'd be okay with it. :)

6. Pea

Pea super pea!

I agree with yagr in that most, if not all of the violent and abusive people I've come across in life come from abusive or broken homes themselves. A lot of the difference between the ones who get through it and the ones who 'turn to the dark side' is whether they internalise and agree on some level that this is how the world is - that it's acceptable to use anger and violence on others instead of sorting out situations peacefully, that manipulating people emotionally is normal, etc.

The ones you hear about who come from stable families but turn into murderers for no discernable reason always seem to be psychopaths who were born without the capacity for empathy. With those it's very difficult to use discipline to teach what's right and wrong, because they just can't think of themselves in another's position and most can't think of the future and just live 'in the moment', so they'll steal and stab somebody just because it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Sorry if I digressed a bit there.

7. unreasonable

unreasonable New Member

That is completely made up to support your own argument. Murderers who come from stable families aren't always, or even nearly always, psychopaths at all.

8. yagr

yagr Senior Member

It may or may not have been made up to support his/her argument but, according to many, his observation is correct. One such expert would be Robert Hare, professor emeritus University of British Columbia, who has written extensively on the subject.