Being published in magazines: important for cred.?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Marie Churchman, Dec 11, 2013.

1. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Jay comes at this from a perspective of self-publishing, which has some differences from traditional publishing. Since the OP also mentioned "publishing an ebook," which implies self-publishing, since generally traditional publishers are still publishing hard copies of books along with the ebooks, I can see where some of the confusion came from. So, it's correct that publication in magazines might not make a difference if one is strictly self-publishing (although it could still help, particularly insofar as being able to point to publications on a web page, or to tweet about publishing successes). However, as far as traditional publishing, for most of us, we still need to get an agent, and attracting an agent is more of an art than a science, because what you're doing is establishing a relationship.

lex likes this.
  2. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

@lex well I'm in it mostly for hot chicks and free booze... I'm already making ridiculous amounts of cash as a teacher, you know ;)

(as for the said statement: even if something is made to sound logical it doesn't mean it makes sense - a matter of perspective, methinks)