1. belgaer

belgaer New Member

Belgaer's overly ambitious project

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by belgaer, Aug 24, 2015.

Welcome ladies, gents and so on to my latest overly ambitious project! a few weeks ago enough of a legendary epic came into me in one go that the result filled an A1 sheet and I'm still filling in the gaps and doubting my ability to ever put pen to paper on it. this is going to be a motivational exercise for me, I think it'll help to keep me getting somewhere. I feel a little like a traveler faced with a journey of a thousand miles who's running round the house searching for his shoelaces so any advice/onward urges would be greatly appreciated!

When I call my project an epic/lengendary fantasy I mean that it's concered with the (hopefully not too) rediculous affairs of gods and heroes. I started with world mechanics and scraps of plot and it spiralled from there, I think I have fairly large swathes of world sorted out at least. my caste of characters started with gods and built out from there - I have three reasonably developed mortal characters with the kind of plot arches that do have gaps but aren't simply isolated events adrift in a sea of questions. I have a few other characters I'm working on too, but I still really need to populate the world at some point and there are a good few characters I need to get to know much better than I do. in terms of plot I have the highlights sorted out, I started in the middle and worked backwards so I still have no idea where it's all ending up. the middle is patchy but frankly gratuitously cool. I have no idea if this is good or not, the sense of the whole thing needs work - the why's and werefores and particularly the who's need work.

first task: set some targets, fit them into areas and get too it!

2. rainy_summerday

rainy_summerday Active Member

It sounds very ambitious, indeed :) Good luck with it. I suppose the most important thing when your characters have some sort of power (as gods tend to do) is to be highly-aware of their limits, and showing those to the reader. I am looking forward to your progress!

3. belgaer

belgaer New Member

The main thing I'm doing with limits is to just keep the power outside of the control of my characters. in so many books magic is something that's wielded - in mine it's just something that happens. people get caught up with itand gain or lose, live or die as a result of the whims of something largely beyond their control or understanding. the gods are big people as well, they change the world but not according to their directed will - according to their undirected nature.

it's really good advice! I like to think I'm on it though

4. belgaer

belgaer New Member

major progress lads and ladesses - the plot's starting to really define itself and I've had some really good advice about how to approach the project that's really sorting stuff out.

5. belgaer

belgaer New Member

sadly my four month old desktop decided that just wasn't the path for him and ran away to become a paperweight. having lost all my plans and notes I've had a go at reconstructing them tonight from memory - it came to four pages of A4, and I got maybe half of what I could remember before I needed to go :) this is really starting to look doable.