1. Ukrop

Ukrop New Member

Belorussian novel

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Ukrop, Jun 29, 2012.

Hi everybody,

English isn't my native language and I really don't know about the publishing politics in English-speaking countries.

For a long time I'm living in Belarus. After two years in Minsk I feel like I've understood a lot about this place.

So, I think it might be cool to write a fun book about all of the sides of Belorussian life - from political discussions to agriculture, from National Library to Bobruisk, from schoolgirls to werewolves, from ancient time to Soviet and Post-Soviet age.

The thing is that it's kinda useless to write it in Russian, because everyone in Russian-speaking countries knows where's Belarus and what happens in it. But if I'll write it in English - will it be interesting for English-speaking people? Is there any interest to Eastern European cultures now?

2. Complex

Complex Senior Member

There is always in interest in unique world views which go against the systematic bias of our current views, I'm generally a fan of non-fiction for such works, but fiction itself is also interesting. Plenty of publishers are interested in high quality work of all types, and even if you can't, self-publishing is an option. Just be mindful of the audience.

3. killbill

killbill Contributing Member

I live in India and am kind of wondering what happened to all the states that was once a part of the soviet union. So, there is definitely a market.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

go to the amazon site and do a search to see what's out there that's similar... this will give you an idea of the market and a list of publishing houses that put out such books...