1. josie101

josie101 New Member

research when writing about a different Century

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by josie101, Jun 26, 2012.

So this question has been in the back of my mind for weeks because I want to write a story that takes place in the Salem witch trials era, and I wanted to know what kind, and how much reasearch would be needed if you were going into this blindly? I'm really stuck with this problem, help? :confused:

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I'd say as much as you can. At least enough so that you feel you can visualize the characters in that time and place

3. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I have to agree, do as much research as possible. With historical fiction one of the main elements is making your environment seem authentic. It isn't all just about story line and character. People read to escape to other places and other times; if your world lacks authenticity it will affect the entire story.

- Darkkin

4. josie101

josie101 New Member

Thank you, ill keep that in mind! :)

5. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

To be honest, if you know nothing about that time period per se, it will be difficult to write. The best thing you coud do would be to research life in that time, reasearch what the land looked like, what towns were like, what people were like. Look at what people, wore, ate, and thought. Keep in mind superstition [as you already know XD] and religion. While you're doing that, think also about how people lived, What men did, what women did, their roles in society.

It would also help to read books set in that time period such as The Scarlet letter and The Crucible the Crucible is a good one to start with its a short play but its a good read, kinda quick and gives a peek into that world.

To get you started: It was a very religious time :) Reverends, and preachers were highly acclaimed. Women had a smaller role at young ages. They expected to be calm wives and civil at all times. Men ran society, but it was the wealthier educated men who got political jobs and even clergy jobs. others were frmers, smiths, masons and the like. People lived in towns and townships centered around Christianity. the Church was everything.

IK real basic info but its the best I have at this time without risking accuracy ;) I hope this helps. and As I said in the other post, show the little things that people do, like men walking around with bibles nder their arms, or Farmers greeting eachother and mentioning the harvest if its that time of year :)

6. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I did my 11th grade term paper on the Salem witch trials as well as a different paper in college on them. Feel free to PM me for any information I can remember.

The puritans were actually merchants, even down to their preachers. It paved the way for a lot of greed in Salem.

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

I want to have a good command of the milieu no matter the setting.