1. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Gone exploring... in the inner realm... Contributor

Benefits of taking Creative Writing in College

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Andrae Smith, Jun 26, 2012.

Well I've said before that I'll be starting college in 2 month. I go to registration soon. My major will be computer engineering, but I'm becoming more certain on becoming an English teacher in the future.

Here is my question: Would it be more beneficial to minor in Englih, or in Creative writing [assuming its offered]? Is there any advantage to creative writing or will I be more well rounded with An english degree? Is there anything I'd learn in CW that I won't be taught with an English Minor?

2. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

I can't really help you there as every college is different. English classes will offer you basic grammar and composition skills that should be helpful in creative writing. The effectiveness of creative writing courses can vary very greatly. Some are great, some suck. I suppose, if you have free credits, it can't hurt to take a Creative Writing class, as long as you don't let yourself be coaxed into poor writing habits. ;)

Now me, I'm kind of a lib. arts student at my local community anyway, so I am taking all the creative writing courses that I can. So far, I've found them to be only moderately helpful, but there IS a course that is supposed to teach about the publishing industry that I am registered for. So I am pretty psyched to see how that goes. If you have a class like that at your college, I think THAT is something to consider if publishing is among your aspirations.

3. Ettina

Ettina Active Member

I don't think most universities offer a separate Creative Writing degree - it's just an English degree.

In my experience, pretty much any English class, even if not about creative writing, will help you learn how to write. They're about evaluating written works, and you'll naturally learn from example.

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

If your college offers both an English minor AND a creative writing minor, see if you can do both. But as an entering freshman, you don't have to worry about it yet. Take the classes you can that interest you. Ask one of the creative writing instructors when you get there.

5. J♥Star

J♥Star Member

I'm not completely sure based on your post, but it kind of sounds like you are planning on staying with the Engineering major, but then minoring, if this is so, i would recommend dropping that major if you want to teach English. From my experience CS/Engineering majors have to take a lot of classes, its common for them to spend 5 or more years for them to finish a Bachelors because of this. i cant see how taking all of those classes will be worthwhile at all if you want to teach English. on the other hand, most majors like English require a lot less units. the way it works at my school is that you can major in English and get an emphasis in creative writing. You will also have the opportunity to major in another subject that doesn't require a lot of major units if you major in English.

I'm almost done with school, and something that i recommend to people who are just starting out is to take a broad range of classes. something you don't want to do is take all engineering courses your first semester or quarter. you might realize that you hate it, and thats a waste of a semester or quarter.

6. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

might just be me and being a Economics and business student. I do not feel that you need to be an English student or have a creative writing degree to write. If I was you, I would stay in the computer engineering track. Then take some English classes. If you really love it enough you would want to change then do it then.

7. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Gone exploring... in the inner realm... Contributor

Thank you all, that is some useful insight and I trully appreciate it. I will keep it all in mind

And For JStar, I was planning on computer engineering for over a year so I chose that as my major... then toward the end of my senior year I got thiscreeping feeling that I would like to teach english in the future... it is uncertain as of late, but I think I will stay the course and see where God takes me. if I have to go back so I can get the credentials to be a teacher, then computer Engineering will earn me enough to afford it XD still thanks for the consideration :)

8. JoePetchonka

JoePetchonka New Member

From a job standpoint, it would be more beneficial to you to go with an English degree and minor in creative writing.

As for the effectiveness of taking creative writing course in college, it all depends on how good your professor is. I took a number of creative writing courses, and I can say without a doubt that they will help you write more creative (duh!) pieces.

Most students skate through school and just take English courses, where you'll just end up writing boring and trite assignments. This doesn't help you become a better writer. Sure, you'll learn proper grammar perhaps, but structuring a research paper is not rich and engrossing writing!

Writing creatively is certainly a natural gift, but you must hone that craft to make it work. Writing essays will not help you hone that craft.