1. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Dune

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Kratos, May 27, 2008.

Have any of you read Dune? I got it from the library last year, but it was kind of confusing, so I didn't read much into it, although it's supposed to be pretty good. Should I check it out again and acutally read it?

2. silverfrost

silverfrost New Member

Dune is definitely worth reading. I understand what you mean about it being confusing--it's Herbert's writing that's overly complicated, I think. I worked my way through it and ended up loving the story, so if you can past the initial confusion and get used to his style, I think you'll be satisfied.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Be careful now… Dune is almost a religious experience for me and for many who love Science Fiction. It is complicated. It requires more than one read. Some would say, “If I have to read it more than once, is it really good?”

The answer is yes.

This book is benchmark. It is a masterpiece of politics, religion, and culture. It is speculative fiction for the anthropologist.