1. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

Best Authors

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Laimtoe, Oct 15, 2006.

I know this is the Lounge and we're not supposed to talk about anything arts related, but I dont know where to post this.

My two favorite authors are Frank Herbert and Robert A. Heinlein.

The thing that I like about them is that their styles aren't so basic. They have a dignity to their writting.

And they're sci fi authors.

Does anyone know of any modern Sci Fi authors that write with a style equal to those classic masters of Sci Fi?

I've looked all over the place. I've read Orson Scott Card and although he writes well structured stories, he's among the traditional typical authoring style.

Are all the good and stylistic Science Fiction authors gone?

2. Nexus

Nexus New Member

R.A. Salvatore
    Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickmann

Christopher Paolini (Who wrote one of me faves at 15 and uses the same writing style as me!)

3. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

I agree, Frank Herbert is pretty damned good. Other sci-fi writers I enjoy are Ben Bova and Greg bear, their tales have large scope and fluent styles.

I think a lot of modern sci-fi writers try to keep their prose as simple as possible and concentrate on the story, as the subject matter can be quite complex in contemporary stuff.

4. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Piers Anthony-the Incarnations? of Immortality series...I read it years ago .. I am thinking about going back and reading it again soon. Not sure if I got the series title correct..but its something like that.

5. Peter

Peter New Member

My favourite author is one of the daddies of modern Scottish fiction, James Kelman. I first came across his work about three years ago, and was immediately gob smacked that someone had actually written literary fiction using the language of working class Glasgow. I had read Irvine Welsh beforehand, but no one from my home city. So it was the vernacular and syntax that hooked me. But as I read more and more of his work, I began to appreciate not just those, but his character development, his existential philosophy (even know I'd never read any philosophical texts), his humour, his relevancy, his integrity. His novel "A Disaffection" is the best Scottish novel of the last fifty or sixty years, far better than Irvine Welsh's "Trainspotting" and just shading Alasdair Gray's "Lanark". He's also from the same part of Glasgow as I am. In fact, as a kid he used to go to the same library I did when I was younger.

6. Raven

Raven Banned

At the moment My favourite Author is Dan Abnett.
    He's wrote various stuff around the world of Sci Fi. At the moment he has remained an in house writer for a company called Black Library. and has wrote some darn fine material he has a unique writing style and has done a shed load of stories. (Novels) my favourite is one of his earlier trilogies called Eisenhorn. the latest book I bought was called Horus Rising the first of a new series featuring the talents from different authors with each book. But it was Abnett that wrote the first and what a yarn it is. Very good and very dark.

Other authors That I like are Patrik Tiley who wrote a 6 part series called Amtrak Wars. And Ian Watson, who writes some really good books Draco, Hariliquin and chaos child. are but three of his master pieces.

~Raven.

7. chad

chad New Member

Need to second Salvatore, Weis & Hickman. When I first read your post they were my first thought.

Chad