1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Best (Auto)Biographies

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Gigi_GNR, May 3, 2011.

What are some really good biographies/autobiographies you've read? Right now I'm reading "When Pride Still Mattered: A Life of Vince Lombardi" by David Maraniss, and it's an absolutely fantastic read that ties together the spirit in America, the change in football and so much more with Lombardi's life. It also cuts right to the heart of who he really was as a person and coach, and it's an awesome read.

2. Vick

Vick New Member

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

I'm not a big biography reader, but I recently read A Million Little Pieces the (supposed) autobiographical account of how the author (James Frey) tries to tackle his drug/alcohol addictions.

It was hugely graphical and uncomfortable to read in places, but it gave an amazing insight into the world of addiction - I actually recommended it to a friend as background reading for some work he was doing about heroin addicts and he too found it massively useful.

There are a lot of questions surrounding the book's accuracy, but I think if it is slightly inaccurate, that probably reflects real life even more. After all, who here isn't guilty of adding one or two embellishments to the odd story to improve them and keep our audience captive?

Didn't someone once say that "history is just our own version of the truth".

Vick

3. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Hmm... I'm more of a fan of memoirs which in a way is like an autobiography.

But ones that I immensely enjoyed are:

The Last Lecture - By Randy Pausch and Jeffery Zaslow. Not really an autobiography (almost... sort of) but the book is based on Pausch's last lecture he gave at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. I think Wikipedia says it best: "The Last Lecture fleshes out Pausch's lecture and discusses everything he wanted his children to know after his pancreatic cancer had taken his life. It includes stories of his childhood, lessons he wants his children to learn, and things he wants his children to know about him. He repeatedly stresses that one should have fun in everything one does, that one should live life to its fullest because one never knows when it might be taken."

The Blind Side - Michael Lewis. Again, not really a true biography, but does follow factual events. Wiki says it better again:

"It features two dominant storylines. The first is an examination of how offensive football strategy has evolved over the past three decades in large part due to Lawrence Taylor's arrival in the 1980s and how this evolution has placed an increased importance on the role of the left tackle.

The second storyline features Michael Oher, the former left tackle for the Ole Miss football team, and later left tackle for the Baltimore Ravens.[1] Lewis follows Oher from his impoverished upbringings through his years at Briarcrest Christian School, his adoption by Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy and on to his position as one of the most highly coveted prospects in college football."

Then of course there is the Diary of Anne Frank which is something that once you read it, it never leaves you. You've probably already read it.

BUT... My absolute favorite.

Are three memoirs written by Frank McCourt. One of my favorite authors who first inspired me to write.

Angela's Ashes - 1st Book which recounts McCourt's impoverish childhood from New York to Ireland.

'Tis - 2nd Book which now follows McCourt as an adult navigating through America and learning how integrate himself into the American society.

Teacher Man - 3rd Book which details his life as a teacher.

Even if you don't read the last two, you have to read Angela's Ashes. It's superb.

4. Gigi_GNR

Life by Keith Richards is a fantastic read -- I'm only 50 or so pages in but it's addicting.

5. JMTweedie

JMTweedie New Member

I've just read the first chapter of Lord Alan Sugar's - What you see is What You Get. I downloaded it onto my kindle for free.

I'm now thinking about paying for and downloading the whole book, it was a very entertaining freeby.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wes

Wes Member

Chris Jericho's A Lion's Tale and Stephen King's On Writing. Ozzy and Dave Mustane's were good. A few more I can't recall at the moment.

7. Gigi_GNR

The Beatles Anthology is one of the finest books I've ever read, the definitive account of the world's best (and my favorite) band, told by the Beatles themselves and other people who were there in amazing detail, put together beautifully. It's a gorgeous book.

According to the Rolling Stones is on a similar track, but came out after the Anthology and the book's not as deeply informative or well put together; still though, it's a good book.

8. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Pappy Boyngton's baa baa black sheep, unintentionally funny...

"show me a hero and I'll show you a bum"

1 person likes this.