1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The Voice, I know there's probably a thread but

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by GingerCoffee, Jun 11, 2013.

These people are so good. I can't pick between the top 5. They are all incredible. They all deserve to win.

2. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

As they say, nobody's a loser when everyone is real good.

3. Autumn Hazel Rain

Autumn Hazel Rain New Member

there are way too many of these type of shows, and only really cater to one type of singing, which to me sounds like it is meant for Broadway! but, I do love me some Xtina!!! :D

4. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

This type of guff is killing the music industry.
    Unsigned artists have between slim and no chance of industry interest anymore.

jannert likes this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

My worry is that it's sending the wrong message to musically-inclined young people. Instead of perfecting their techniques and being original, all they need to do is copy famous singers, get on a 'show,' and 'wow' the judges. 'Fame' is the goal, not excellence. (And the contenders have to look good, too.) I tried watching a few of these shows and gave up. It's just not my thing, I guess.

outsider likes this.
  6. outsider

outsider Contributor Contributor

I speak admittedly, as an embittered musician who spent most of the 00's in a band struggling to get label interest.
    We were good, had a following, and lived for it but record labels want instant, marketable puppets.
    Even the woefully awful (Jedward et al) make a fortune as they have had such exposure.

jannert likes this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

An old friend of mine, guitar player for the not-so-famous Boston-based band Judy's Tiny Head told me once that 'pop' music is the most conservative form of music there is. It exists ONLY to make money. And I think, by and large, his assessment is true.

outsider and 123456789 like this.
  8. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

This is one of the reason why I'm all about rap. Look at those guys many are from industry perspective quit ugly and many are in bad shape. I don't think that's any honor but it shows that you can be yourself in the rap game.
    Of course there are somethings you can't be but still better than pop industry:agreed:
    Country music is also fair for males but females have to be all pretty pretty.

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I'm of the school that says you should develop your own material (hey, I'm a writer!) before thinking much about vocal technique. Good songs are a surer path to lasting success than good vocals. Evidence: Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Lou Reed, U2, Jackson Browne, Tom Waits, Green Day, Nirvana, etc.

And there are plenty of good singers who are one-hit wonders. Or no-hit-wonders.

10. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

You don't think U2 has good vocals?

11. minstrel

The problem with rap is that it's rap, not music. There are no melodies. Just lots of aggression, foul language, and braggadocio. It convinces the young that musical skill and talent are superfluous, and that any potty-mouthed bonehead can have big hits.

12. minstrel

Well, Bono has a lot of passion, but hardly any technique. He's been in the game for over 35 years now, and he still hasn't improved much. I get the impression that he just doesn't care much about actually singing. He cares about posturing. My objection to him isn't that he's actually bad, but that he doesn't care enough to practice. Roger Daltrey improved hugely as a singer over his career. So did Sting. So did Jackson Browne. Others, too. I think it's important that if you're going to do big, anthemic rock, you ought to become good at it. A lot of U2's music has been a wasted opportunity.

13. 123456789

I don't know anything about music, technically speaking, but I always felt like Bono's vocals were better than Sting's, especially in live recordings. But maybe I've been fooled by posturing.

14. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Rock music has had its day.

...followed by misanthropic rant in Maatlish dialect edited for the historical record,

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  15. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

You need to listen to better rap, old man. :p

Mike Hill and matwoolf like this.
  16. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

I don't much like these shows. I won't dispute the contestants' talent, but I find singing covers pretty boring. Some have sung their own songs at least in the Finnish version of the Voice, but they have been nothing remarkable.

There was one season of American Idol, I think, with one rapper dude who made his own songs, and he was the only interesting artist there. The rest were okay technically, but seemed to have little vision, or whatever there was must have been stifled by the wants of the industry.

To quote the League of Gentlemen: "It's a shit business."

Mike Hill, jannert and outsider like this.
  17. minstrel

I know, but there isn't any. :(

18. minstrel

Bono's vocals are better than Sting's. I never said they weren't. Sting has a terrible voice and Bono has a good one. But Sting understands that he doesn't have a good natural voice, and so he worked on his vocal technique over time. He sounds tons better today than he did back when he was with the Police.

Bono started off with a head start. He had a good voice. But he's done practically nothing to improve - he's probably worse now than he was when he first recorded "Sunday Bloody Sunday." That just annoys me a little.

I'm not comparing Bono to Sting. I'm comparing Sting now to Sting then (big improvement) versus Bono now to Bono then (almost no improvement).

19. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

If you want a good rap song that tells a story and isn't about the usual nonsense, check out Immortal Technique's "Dance With the Devil." I'm not sure if you'll like it or not, but at the very least it'll show you that rap isn't all about making money, degrading women, etc. The song does have foul language, however.

20. 123456789

Oh. Just based on their respective personalities that observation makes a lot of sense.

I've always liked Stiing, and I can respect a guy who recognizes his limitations and tries to improve.

I heard the singer from Muse has finally been taking lessons as well.