1. PJ.Paradox

PJ.Paradox New Member

Korean Authors

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by PJ.Paradox, Mar 12, 2010.

Can anyone recommend any Korean Authors, preferably those whose original books were published in Korean and have since been translated into English? I am interested in more or less any fiction, although I do tend to favor stories that have supernatural undercurrents or a touch of fantasy.

I would like to begin reading as a means to better understand Korean Culture via stories that Koreans tell. I am of course learning about K-Life in other ways, but since I am such an avid reader I think that this would be really helpful and can give me things to ask my K-friends about when we are together.

While Korean-American authors might be okay if they have a strong connection or focus on Korea, my preference is to read books written by people who were born and raised there.

2. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Straight out, I know no Korean others. However, as you're exploring K-life, you'll be well aware of their fantastic cinema, which of course is often based on literature. A little research that way may pay dividends.

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

The only Korean author I've read is Hwang Sun-wŏn. He's one of the best short story writers I've ever read. Very subtle, minimal.

And definitely check out Korean cinema, particularly the Vengeance trilogy (or anything else by Park Chan-wook and The Chaser by Na Hong-jin.