1. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

80 Pages With Nowhere to Go

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by lostinwebspace, Oct 24, 2011.

I finished an 80-page novella for a publisher that was putting together a collection of sci-fi stories to showcase to agents. Anyway, long story short, the deal fell through and here I am with 80 pages of a complete story and nowhere to put it. So what I'm asking is this: where is the market for a story like this? Obviously, I can't go to a magazine with a story that's 20,000 words long. And it's not exactly novel length. Who can I send this to?

2. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Look on Duotrope's Digest. A quick Google ought to bring up the site. Set your parameters and you'll find something. One to keep an eye out for is Subterranean Press (I think that's what they're called; it's been a while since I submitted anything, so I could be wrong), though there are plenty of other places.

Best of luck!

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in the us, there's virtually no market for novellas in print, though a rare few niche magazines may run one now and then... i've heard that the situation may be some better in the uk...

however, e-publishing seems to be the solution for work of all sizes and kinds that can't make it into print...

as for that anthology, it sounds very scam-ish to me, since agents don't rep short stories or novellas and don't go trolling for new clients in obscure anthologies...